Sunday 27 March 2011

Judgementalism

Whenever I see Christians, or those who claim to be Christians, doing or promulgating things that are clearly either unscriptural or actually against the word of God, then I am tempted to form a judgement upon them. However, I have spent a lot of time with the Lord recently and He has been showing me that I must not judge – “lest you be judged by the same rule that you used to judge others”.

This was causing me grief in that I really wanted to say something condemning to those people – but God told me to basically turn the other cheek and ignore them. I just had to question this of course and out of all my musings and prayer and conversations with God came

(fanfare of trumpets :-) )

“Gamaliel’s Law - Leave them alone and if they are not of God, they will fade away like all the other dross. Acts 5:34-39”

When Peter was hauled before the Sanhedrin and accused of all sorts of crimes by the Jewish authorities, it was this fellow Gamaliel who actually said this and who thereby had them released.

“Hang on Lord,” says I, “Surely, I wrote this snippet myself about three years ago.”

“Correct.” Says He, with the hint of a smile and a barely contained chuckle.

Then He helped me out a bit – “You see, whenever you judge or even form an opinion about another person that is not from the discernment of the Holy Spirit within you, then you are open to be attacked by the enemy and judged by Me using your own criteria.”

Ah, now I have a problem there because, like most people, I make judgements about people – what they do – how they act – is there any love in this? Etc etc etc. So, actually, “Gamaliel’s Law” was written by me, ......because of me, ......and for me – inspired by the Holy Spirit – and aimed at getting me out of trouble three years later. Now thats what I call planning ahead or preparing the way.

I have known for some time that I should beware of judging others – but I find that very difficult to do simply and if only because I am human too. So I recently went for ministry myself – every one of us needs ministry from time to time and I am no exception so I do this every two to three months. I needed it now as I had been going through a very difficult time with some of my family and also with others with whom I found I have basic disagreements. During the course of this ministry, I was given a prayer to pray daily.

This is the prayer (doctored for you to add words where needed) :-

A Prayer to Forgive …

Lord, I don’t know how to make forgiveness happen. I can’t cleanse my heart or change my feelings. I don’t know how to trust, and I’m afraid to hold my heart open but today I’m making a choice to forgive.

I know I’ll have to choose again and again until You make forgiveness real and complete in me. Please God, give me the willingness and strength to persevere in choosing until forgiveness is accomplished in me by Your power.

I choose to forgive .....(name)...... for ……..(Perceived offence)...........
I choose to forgive .....(name)...... for ……..(Perceived offence)...........

Forgive in me all my sinful responses towards them.

Father, I let go of all resentment and bitterness stored in my heart. Wash me clean.

Forgive me for all condemning judgments I have made.

Psalm 51:10-12 “Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.”

Do not take your Holy Spirit from me - rather Give me a new and right spirit within me that will enable me to hate sin but look with Your compassion and love upon the sinner. Heal the wounded heart of the child within me. Pour Your love in. Bless those who wounded me.

Forgive me, Lord, for projecting my childish pictures in relation to people onto You, and onto others, especially those I love. Bring those pictures to death. Bring my childish ways and expectations to death. Let Your light shine into all the hidden places of my heart. Enlighten the eyes of my heart, Lord, to see You and love you
as You really are.

AMEN

Is it not easier to pray this short prayer than to be caught in judgement of another. There is coming a judge who will do a far better job than I or anyone else can do and I do not want to stand before Him to be judged in the same manner as I last judged someone else.

3 comments:

  1. Ya nailed this so well Chris, humbly and inspiringly written..bless ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Chris. What a wonderful illustration you bring from Scripture about Gamaliel! Keep up the great work! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen Chris.....thanks for the convicting word!

    ReplyDelete