Wednesday 27 April 2011

Have Some Christians Lost Their Humility?

I have posted this blog by my wife because, to me, it is so true and I wish I had written it. But I didn't - Linda did. Enjoy . . . . .


Have Some Christians Lost Their Humility?

Have you ever wondered why some Christians have such a puffed up opinion of themselves? Why do they think they are "hyper" Christians and more important than another? We were all bought with the same price. Did Jesus pay more for one than the other?

Some are so proud to self-appoint themselves as Bishop, Elder, Leader, Dr. So-and-So. How did they receive these titles? Who gave it to them?

Some even call themselves "Pastor" but who ordained them? Who is shepherding them?? Are they accountable to anyone? Who oversees their leadership? Did they get their ordination papers from an online source? Just because they may be in a leadership position does it give them the right to call themselves "Pastor" over a group?

I have sat under some leaders who are so harsh and arrogant that they have left their sheep in shambles. Instead of lovingly guiding them and keeping them from harm they throw them to the wolves. No good shepherd would do that to their flock.

Some leaders have such an inflated ego and self-importance that all they can do is promote themselves..."I've done this...I've earned this...I ran this...I have awards to prove how good I am." Are they so insecure that they have to "prove" themselves??? Where is the humility that we're supposed to carry? Why all the self promotion and bragging?

Do we think we are more important that Jesus who thought of Himself no reputation? Phillipians 2:5-7 says this, "Let this mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who being in the form of God, did consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men."

We should be LIKE Jesus with Christlike humility without having to flaunt, prove or push through self-advancement to gain power and authority.

In humbling ourselves like Jesus did we will then be promoted by God. In humbling ourselves and loving others and putting God first then we will be lifted up and have the favor of God in our lives. We will love people tenderly and not be harsh with them...we will be good leaders. We will not have wounded sheep.

Linda Bennett March 8th 2011

2 comments:

  1. This is a very good post Linda! I too have experienced bad leadership. My current Pastor is very humble and caring. But that is rare. I saw the irony in what you wrote about "earning, awards, ran this..." and how after Jesus resurrected, He made the disciples breakfast. He became a servant. :) I want to be a servant too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, thank you for your kind words. So many people are run out of the church because of harsh leadership. People who are like that are the only people Jesus used to get upset with!

    ReplyDelete