Wednesday 4 August 2010

Be STILL

This morning, I found myself writing this - Be still in the storm. Be still in sickness. Be still in trouble. Be still in everything. Psalm 46:10 “Be still and KNOW that I am God.”

How many of us know the scripture? How many of us obey it?

Do you know how to be still? I didn’t – until the Lord ‘stilled’ me by allowing sickness to lay me low – unable to drive and unable to walk in a straight line for three or four weeks.

It doesn’t matter how fierce the storm in your life rages – Jesus rebuked the storm and it was still. He calls us to simply be still in the middle of our storm. To have faith. To trust in Him and in His Word. To “be still and KNOW that He is God.” (Emphasis mine)

It doesn’t matter what your illness or sickness is – He calls us to be still in the midst of it. Better yet, He tells us to cast all our cares upon Him as He cares for us. (1 Peter 5:7). In fact ‘His grace is sufficient for you, for His power is made perfect in your weakness.’ (My paraphrase from 2 Cor 12:9) Testifying to this, I can confirm that in the middle of the greatest ‘storm’ in my life, that I was both able to be still before His throne of Grace and that that grace was and still is more that sufficient for me – and you.

Do we know troubles? Here in the Western Church we have been so protected that I think we know very little of troubles. The persecuted church throughout the world can testify to their personal peace, to His Grace in times of trouble. They know how to be still before God, and how to allow His Grace to minister to their troubled minds and souls. We who know little of troubles would do well to try to follow their wonderful example and to feel for ourselves the soothing balm of Gods wonderful Grace when we are still before Him.

There is such peace that we forfeit, such overwhelming all-encompassing peace that we miss in our own personal turmoil. If only we could learn to be still before the throne of God. If only we could just be still long enough to experience His peace. Then, we would never doubt again God’s desire that we be still before Him and receive the ‘peace which passes all understanding’.

Yes – its true. If we can only be still and know that He is God, then we would live much more peaceable lives. His love would shine so much brighter through us. Our souls would be much easier. All because we think about, then obey His command to “Be still and KNOW that I am God.”

1 comment:

  1. Being still and listening can save you loads of heartache and grief. Just sit and listen. Love this one Chris.

    ReplyDelete