Monday 30 August 2010

Prophet or Non-Prophet?

The Lord spoke to me again today. It often happens especially when He has a word for me. He asked me this – “Why are so many churches prophet or non-prophet organisations?” It made me laugh because I immediately knew the spelling was ‘prophet’ rather than ‘profit’. The Lord may have smiled too but I knew this was a serious question. (He added the ‘not-for-prophet’ later because the terms are different in the UK and in the USA).

So, let me ask you then. Is your church a ‘non-prophet’ or ‘not-for-prophet’ organisation? Does your church believe, or trust, or even accept prophecy at this time. Are you one of the churches who do not believe or accept prophecy? If so – why? Why is it that so many pastors and their congregations are so terrified of a prophet. Is it perhaps because a prophet tells you the truth as it is and without any spin or any alternative agenda? That is a rhetorical question by the way – so let me try again.

Allow me to ask you another question – Is the Bible accurate and acceptable for today or did its usefulness die out with the Apostles? Is it the Word of God? Is God the same yesterday, today, and forever? Have you ever been taught anything about the prophetic ministry? If, like most churches, you claim to be a Bible believing church, then please bear with me as I quote a couple of short scriptures for you.

1 Corinthians 12:28
“And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.”

1 Corinthians 14:29
“Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.”

1 Corinthians 14:39
“Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy. . .”

Does the Bible lie? Is God a liar? No- of course He is not. So why do so many of you not believe what His Word says – after all you do claim to be a Bible believing church. Or are you a ‘selectively Bible believing church’ – do you only believe those parts which suit your particular theology? Then permit me to rock your boat further with this scripture -

Ezekiel 34:1-2
“The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock?”

Then He reminded me of this –

Amos 3:7
“Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.”

Finally, I asked the Lord ‘What next?’

He said this, “The shepherds and flocks of so many churches are a stiff-necked , stubborn, and rebellious people. They do not listen to me. They listen instead only to what they want to hear. Therefore say to them that there is coming a time when they will beg to hear from a prophet but I will shut up the mouths of the prophets before them. I will have nothing further to say until they repent and turn from their wicked unbelieving ways. Then I will heal their land; then I will send a prophet to them who will lead them to the truth by my Spirit. But tell them – the time is short. Hurry – do not get left behind.”

If the Lord says it to me then I must say it to you. That’s what Prophets do.

1 comment:

  1. What does prophesy mean?
    Does it just mean to predict the future? If so, I can see why many are so reluctant for a true prophet must be right 100 per cent. (In the Old Testament, the false prophets were stoned.)
    If it means to proclaim the Word of God, then many of us are falling down on the job. And the results are devasting in that there is no moral ballast in society.

    ReplyDelete