Sunday 16 January 2011

War and Peace

Here’s a prayer that you may have read before – but it is so worth another read. It reminds us where we should stand.

“We have heard a message from the LORD: An envoy was sent to the nations to say, “Rise, let us go against her for battle” (Obadiah 1:1)

It’s easy to forget this part of following You, Jesus.

You call me to peace. But You also call me to take up Your sword.

You teach me to turn the other cheek. But You also command me to stand up for what’s right.

Whenever possible, You challenge me to find common ground with those who oppose me. But You also order me to draw a line in the dirt beyond which I will not, cannot, even dare not, go.

You call me to forgive, to overlook an offense, to lovingly cover over a multitude of sins. But You also call me to wage war against evil.

Yes Lord, I’m one of Your lambs.
But I’m also a soldier.
And You’re my Commanding Officer.
So. Who, what, when, and where Do You want me – in Your strength – to fight?

Amen?

When the Lord calls us to battle or wage war in prayer, always remember that the battle is the Lord’s. It is already won – although prayer may still be necessary in order to bring the victory in. It’s one of those promises again. You know don’t you? “IF My people will .... THEN I will .... “

All we need to do is ask Him which battles we are to fight. Each fight, each battle, is different and requires differing kinds of prayers so we are definitely not all called to all battles. Ask, knock, seek – God will tell you which He wants you to join – and those He does NOT want you to join. Why? There is always a reason so just do it the way He asks you.

No comments:

Post a Comment