Saturday 2 June 2012

Righteous Prayers


The Prayer of Jabez

I was always intrigued by the character,  Jabez, who seems to be a footnote or a P.S. in scripture. Initially I was intrigued because Jabez was my father’s middle name and, I found later, a family name given to the oldest boy in each family. So I looked Jabez up again.

1 Chronicles 4:9-10 (NKJV) “Now Jabez was more honourable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.”  And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested.

Whole books have been written on this very short passage – just 2 verses and one of those verses known as Jabez’s Prayer. That is the prayer I want to look at for a moment or two.

Oh, that You would bless me indeed “ Other translations use the word ‘abundantly’ rather than ‘indeed’. Given that Jabez lived around the time of Saul or David, we can fairly safely assume that he had flocks and herds to look after and to graze. Therefore he would need good grazing for his animals – especially if they were going to increase.

and enlarge my territory “ Here Jabez is almost certainly asking that, if you are blessing my flocks, give me more land, more pasture, and perhaps greater influence among my people.

that Your hand would be with me “ Ah – not only that God’s hand be with Jabez, but that it could be seen that God’s hand was with him by the blessings he was receiving.

and that You would keep me from evil “ Now we are getting to the really serious part. Here Jabez is surely asking for protection – from wild animals, from enemies, from raiders and invading armies. Keep the evil people away from me seems to be his cry to God.

that I may not cause pain! ” Here we come to the reason for all that precedes it. Jabez was indeed honourable. He wanted to live peaceably and quietly with no quarrel with those around him. He wanted to cause no man any pain or disruption or anything unpleasant.

So God granted him what he requested. “ Now one of the most simple but amazing statements in the whole Bible – God actually granted his wish and his prayer.

Let me finish with a word of caution. Please don’t make Jabez’ prayer your own prayer unless so directed by the Lord. Sure, anyone can claim it, but I feel constrained to use it for myself because the Lord has not laid it upon me. I feel it should be the same for all of us.

Our Queen has indeed lived and honourable life, keeping peace with all whith whom she has contact. God has blessed her and expanded her territory (influence) world wide. If she has prayed this prayer, then God has answered her – abundantly.

I honour her this Jubilee weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment