Friday 8 June 2012

When God Speaks


What, where, who, why, and when?

These five short questions What? Where? Who? Why? and when? have always appealed to me although I have often wondered why the apparent synchronicity? They sound like the sort of questions children fire at us don’t they?

I was just sitting, minding my own business, when along comes the Lord and He’s in a chatty mood. “What you doing?” “Nothing much Lord” “Good, I want to plant something in you to pass on to all the folk you pass things on to.” I don’t know if you’ve ever noticed this, but God speaks to us in our own vernacular – our own colloquial language – He uses words we’ll understand. “Yes Lord” I reply, pulling myself back from my day-dreamy stupor and  into His conversation.

“Sometimes I ask you to do things  Sometimes the enemy, pretending to be Me, asks you to do something.” “Ah but, Lord, I know your voice.” “Yes you do, but Satan is the best mimic in the world!” He paused, allowing this to sink in. Then He said, “Even when you are sure it is me speaking to you, you should test it – ask me questions – make sure you understand me.” This is when the five, one-word questions came up. What, where, who, why, and when?

The Lord explained that He would rather we ask some questions and get it right, than assume we have heard correctly but get it wrong. Also, He really doesn’t mind if we check it out a couple of times to make sure we have heard Him and not the enemy.

What – what is I have to do? Make sure the word you have is right. Test it against the Word of God and if it doesn’t line up then you know it is not from God. But also check it out to ensure you know exactly what He is asking you to do – and do no more and no less – just do what He asks.

Where – where do I do it? This may seem un-necessary but the Lord may not want you to do or say whatever He is asking in the middle of church in front of a lot of people. Use your common sense. Ask for the ‘where’.

Who – who is this for? First rule – get the right person. Oh dear – can you imagine giving a corrective word to the wrong person.

Why – why do I need to do it? Sometimes we will know why and sometimes we won’t have a clue. Sometimes God will reveal His reasons to us – other times we just have to trust Him and, as my favourite advert says, just do it.

When – when should I do it? Ah – now timing is usually critical but God’s timing is perfect. It’s no use saying to God, “OK, I’ll look for the opportunity.” If you stay “tuned in”, then God will tell you very clearly when to act. I remember a time in Wales, some years ago – but that’s too long a story for now. Suffice it to say that God’s timing was perfect and brought great comfort to a dying man and his family.

Finally - Was that you Lord? Oh, precious people, whatever you do, try to ensure that it was God speaking to you. Test it thoroughly. If I have a word for someone or for some situation, I usually write it all down then leave it for three or four days. If that word is still on my mind then I am usually pretty certain it is from God but I always check again first. Then I give the word.

But when all is said and  done – when God asks - JUST DO IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment