Tuesday 5 June 2012

Scripture - all or nothing


Scrapture ??

I often wonder why we so doubt the scriptures. For example, I do not understand why so many don’t accept the rapture. Wonderful Spirit filled, Blood bought and saved Christian brothers and sisters who do not accept the rapture. The word, “rapture”, is not mentioned in scripture but the event surely is.  1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 "For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever." Wonderful words of hope and comfort for us all.

We all seem to believe in the tribulation and the wedding of the Lamb and the New Jerusalem - Revelation 21: 2-4 "I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” So why not the rapture?

The great tribulation, the mark of the beast, Armageddon – all these things are without question. So what is wrong with the concept of the rapture as in 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17? I ask these  things because I have a problem not believing them. I either believe the Bible is the Word of God, God breathed and inspired – and therefore true because God cannot lie – or I don’t. I cannot pick and choose what to believe and what to put to one side. Otherwise, I am guilty of “Scrapture” – scrapping scripture which disagrees with my personal theology.

You see, I am gloriously unencumbered by theological training. I put it like that because I have to rely solely on Holy Spirit’s promptings, guidance, and leading. I consider myself so fortunate NOT to have been through theological training. I believe, rightly or wrongly, that ALL theological colleges or seminaries are denominational and therefore only teach the one theology that suits or fits their denomination. It has always been the same of course, everyone who passes through seminary is trained according to the theology of the ruling denomination. It has often been said,  with a little truth, that theology has wrecked more faiths than it has confirmed. Yet seminary has produced some wonderful pastors, preachers and teachers. However, denominational seminary has never produced a graduate for a different denomination.

I dare say these last remarks will keep me from even “infesting” some pulpits, but I can face that thought unafraid. I fear far more the wrath of God if I have got it all completely wrong than I fear man for only getting it almost right.

You see, each denomination has its own beliefs about the rapture and about eschatology in general. I am one who believes passionately in it because, as far as I and many others can see, it is totally biblical. If it wasn’t I could not support it. Rather in my particular case, if it wasn’t biblical I am certain that Holy Spirit would let me know in no uncertain terms.

I believe that the rapture and all of end time eschatology gives Christianity its greatest hope after salvation – it puts, or answers, a “how” into the whole equation.

Personally, I can hardly wait, but I have to. In the meantime, I am collecting as many as I can to take with me. This means continuing with the Great Commission until either I go home to be with the Lord or until He comes to fetch me – at the Rapture.

Oh, happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment