Wednesday 16 October 2013

Worthwhile Mission

Worthwhile Mission

I feel my mission is to help the hurt and the helpless, to love the unlovable, to touch the untouchable, and to bring the love of Jesus Christ to bear on their lives through ministry. God give me strength to do some of this, in Jesus name.

Is that too lofty an ambition; too much to ask; too grandiose a scheme? Jesus did these things and He has, I believe, given me, amongst many others, the love and grace to do something of the same. He will give that grace in abundance to all who ask. Will you avail yourself of it; of Him?

Everything you do – do it as unto the Lord. Paul said this and I think it is sound advice. Ask yourself – is what I am doing good enough to bring glory to God? If not then, either why am I doing it, or, how can I do it better? I also believe this has to do as much with the quality of our heart, as it has to do with the quality of our work.

Feed them, give them a drink, clothe them, visit them in prison or when they are sick.  “Them” is your neighbour. “Your neighbour” is almost anyone in need. We must treasure widows and orphans. This is a call to look after the weak and defenceless, the lost or forgotten.

“Whoever does this for the least of these, (these who are) My brothers and sisters, does it for Me.” This is a timely reminder that we are all family in Christ where there is “no Jew or gentile, no male or female, no freeman or slave, no rich or poor, no “haves” nor “have nots”. We are one in Christ and will be judged by how we loved our neighbour as ourselves as much as we will be judged for our love of God.

I don’t know about you, but I love Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,”

I love Joel 2:28-29 “I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

I love Mark 16:15-18 “And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.  And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;  they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Set the captives free, heal the sick, cast out demons, make disciples – what a calling. What a privilege. What a responsibility. Frightening isn’t it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment