Monday 6 January 2014

How can we believe nothing?

How can we believe nothing?

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.” – Woody Allen

I cannot imagine myself facing old age without a hope for both my own future, or my children’s future. By his quote, above, one can only assume the author doesn’t either. There are millions more like that, with little or no hope for the future.

How can they go through their whole life believing in nothing – no faith, no future, no God, no deliverance from hell? Frequently nowadays, no hell either.

Like Mr Allen, above, many just don’t want to be there when it happens. I know a few people who have worked in hospitals etc who have witnessed many folk passing. The one common thing they all agree on, regardless of their own beliefs or lack thereof, is that those with faith pass gently and peacefully, whereas those with no faith often struggle and fight all the way. Now why would this be, I wonder?

As this new year of 2014 begins, one thing on my mind is that I don’t want any who will undoubtedly pass this year to suffer because of lack of faith or lack of belief in Jesus Christ. We can know, of course, their condition as they approach death, but we cannot be sure what happens in the moments around it. How many, I wonder, have cried out to the Lord, perhaps in desperation, for Him to save them or to have mercy?

Yet it still troubles me that so many will miss the boat altogether whether it occurs naturally or by the rapture happening first. How can good reasoning and intelligent folk believe nothing? Worse still, how can so many of them either actually dismiss God, or so ignore Him that they end up denying Him completely. Creation is all around us – does it say nothing to them?

So this year, I have to become even more His hands, His ears, His voice to those who don’t yet know Him. I have to carry His presence wherever I go and I have to be prepared to witness to Him at any moment in time – as the Spirit prompts me. Oh, no doubt I will let Him down a few times, but I will also sow seeds into the lives of those around me.

“Break my heart for what breaks yours”, from the worship song Hosannah, is my watchword this year. It really does break my heart to see so many ignore or reject Jesus and place their immortal souls in grave danger of being one day Hell-bound.

What an emotional moment when the rapture happens – joy in our position of meeting the Lord in the clouds, yet grief at those left behind, mostly due to their bad choices and intransigence. This is my greatest fear as we approach the time – that so many of those I love may be left behind – and I have no idea what I can do about it except to pray revelation to them.

If ever there was an incentive to spread the Gospel – this is it. 

1 comment: