Wednesday 9 February 2011

What Love is this?

What Love is this?

Sometimes God does something that simply stops us dead in our tracks. It’s not usually anything spectacular – quite the opposite in fact. He simply shows us something, then whispers His truth into our ear. The Lord has done that to me this week. I am humbled by it and have shed more than a few tears as His truth settles in my heart and into my thinking. That He is doing something in me is obvious and it’s not so much the what He is doing but the why that intrigues me.

I had sat down to write this blog three times these last few days. Each time the Lord has stayed my hand and said, “Wait, there is more.” Even now, He is saying “There is always more if you want it.” So I will start and see where He leads me.

Did you ever get a revelation of the Love of God? I mean, a real graphic revelation of His love for us – a revelation that took your breath away? No, me neither – until a couple of days ago. Now I have to say this is very personal and more of a testimony than anything else. So if you don’t like ‘gooey’, then look away now.

Every time my wife has looked at me these past few days, I have been struck by the amazing look of love I am getting. Waves of love from her kept sweeping over me and twice I just sat there weeping quietly at the reality of it and of just how undeserving of such love I am. It is a humbling feeling to be loved like this. Then it happened !!

We were sitting together when she turned and smiled and gave me one of those little loving kisses – the sort that wives are so very good at. I felt the now familiar waves of love sweeping over me and the look in her eyes simply melted me again, Then I heard the Lord whisper these words to me, “If you think that your wife loves you greatly, and she does too, then how can you even begin to imagine My love for you?” It broke me.

I know a fathers love for his children. I have seen a mother’s love for her children too. I know a wife’s great and unsurpassable love for her husband. I knew my own love for my wife – unconditional, I hope. With these as examples of my experience, how can I possibly imagine Gods love for me. How do you measure the infinite? Yet He gave me more than a glimpse at His love for me, He let me feel His love – I was broken again. Then He said again some truths I have heard many times before. He began showing me people from all round the world saying, “My love for you is exactly the same for these, even for the least of my people. I call them my people even though they do not know me for I love them, every one, as a special child. I love them even as I loved my Son when they crucified Him. My people, including you, break my heart daily. You crucify me again daily. Yet, such is my love for you, that it will never change.” He showed me my family, people from other lands, children and adults alike. He showed me those who love Him and those who persecute them who love Him. He showed me every kind of friend and foe. Yet, to each one He said, “I love him the same as I love you.”

My wife kissed me gently as she walked past. I caught her hand and she spun round with a huge smile – that wonderful love light bright in her eyes. That’s when I realised the unfathomable height, length, breadth, and depth of our Fathers love for us. What love is this, I thought.

God answered, “It’s my love, given to all of you, unconditionally, and without measure.”

3 comments:

  1. Chris, this is beautiful...thank you. God has indeed blessed us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris Bennett,
    Good to visit this page, The thoughts about that unchanging and unexplainable love is greatest of all love.

    Few days back i posted a blog about this greatest love of all love. if you find little time pl do visit my blog. I am following you.
    Thanks for sharing this
    Best Regards to you and Linda
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you! Jesus is amazing. His voice is unfathomable- it begs to be heard every moment of the day, to bring us further and further out of the world and ourselves, and further into being something new- that creation, not of flesh and blood, but spirit and blood... If you get what I mean! Born of the Son we can finally see- this is life as we know it, forgiven and free!

    ReplyDelete