Tuesday 1 February 2011

Is it or is it not Finished

On or Off the Cross

We have been touring round, introducing my new wife to England – and vice versa. I think both are loving the experience. However, one of the things we enjoy, wherever we are – be it England, USA, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, or wherever – we like to explore the history of places. Now, I ask you, where better to explore local history than the local church? Exciting, fascinating, absorbing, informative, all this and more is to be found in places of historic interest. Yet there is one thing that absorbs me more than the rest – and that is the representation of the Gospel in each of the churches we visit.

Christ died for us and He paid the price for all our sins. He made a way for us to approach the Throne of Grace at any time instead of waiting for that once-a-year visit by the High Priest. That He died for us is so graphically represented by the presence in so many churches by that iconic picture of Jesus hanging on the cross – the crucifix. Wherever we go, in almost any country, there are plenty of crucifixes in plenty of churches forever reminding the local populace that Christ died for our sins. He died for your sin. He died for my sin.

As I was walking out of one such church, 10 foot tall crucifix, with graphic amounts of blood at wrist and feet, with realistic crown of thorns rammed solidly onto His head, but demurely dressed in a loin cloth (when everyone knows He like all others was crucified naked – how else could they gamble for His clothes?), dominating every corner of the building, the Lord challenged me. “So He died for you – is that all?” “No Lord, He rose again in three days.” “So why do you worship Him on the cross and dying, when perhaps it would be better to worship Him Risen and triumphant over sin – veil torn away so you can come to My Throne of Grace?” Stunned silence from me. “Just asking.”, said the Lord in a way that suggested to me that He was smiling – having made me think for a change instead of treading the ritual pathway.

The next church we visited had a plain, empty cross. As soon as I set eyes upon it, the Lord said, “There you are – He is risen. First He died, then He rose again.” He reminded me of the cross I wear on a chain round my neck – it’s been there since 1962 or thereabouts – it is a plain cross. Christ risen. As I pondered these things this morning, the Lord again broke into my thoughts. “What about the veil? The Crucifix cannot ever convey the full story because it stops at the crucifixion. The empty cross surely is to remind you of the full story – the torn veil, and what that means for you, and the resurrection – and all that followed”.

As I turned away to the rest of my day, I felt the Lord smile as He said. “Something to think about eh?” Oh yes, I thought about it all right. Crucifixion and death on the cross. The temple veil torn signifying our access to the Throne of God – into His very presence – signifying the ‘destruction’ of the old Law and covenant – replaced by the New Covenant and enforced, if that is the right word, by the Holy Spirit. The empty cross – job done – Pentecost and all that followed. Salvation in a single picture – an empty cross. Salvation in two simple words – the cross.

It’s all about the empty cross – thats what is so disturbing to the whole unsaved world. An empty cross – “It is finished.”

1 comment:

  1. It is so great to be able to read the ordinary footseps of life, through the footprints of Jesus, good thinking mate... you do this very well.

    About 18 mths ago God 'hassled' me towards the crucifix, 'cos post reformation the empty cross has also become sanitary, clean and little challenge to Christians to accept the suffering state Christ almost guarantees for each of us ... maybe it was just me that needed to gaze upon a crucifix again..bless ya in heaven Chris and here on earth mate.

    ReplyDelete