Saturday 12 May 2012

Here I am Lord


Here I am Lord

In 1 Samuel 3 the Word tells how Samuel, as a boy, was called by the Lord. In verse 8, he was told to “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” Then in Isaiah 6 Isaiah himself is called and in verse 8 he says, “Here I am Lord, send me.” Finally, we see in Jeremiah 1, another prophet is called, but even he says in verse 6, “Ah, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.” All I can say is that, despite their own youth and maybe their doubts too, the Lord used them way beyond their own dreams and aspirations.

Let me challenge you today. I was challenged over this last weekend. It came from an unexpected source – a modern well loved hymn. The chorus runs like this –

Here am I, Lord, Is it I Lord?,
I have heard you calling in the night,
I will go, Lord, if you lead me,
I will hold your people in my heart.

I first heard it sung about 20 years ago by John Michael Talbot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFFhZM4rn-c )

Have you sung that chorus lately? When we sung it last Sunday, I was challenged. Am I ready to say that to God? Are you challenged too? Are you ready to say, “Here am I Lord, send me. I will go Lord, if you lead me.”

That’s your challenge for today. Well – how about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment