Saturday 7 September 2013

What a Ride

What a Ride

When the Lord calls me home, I don’t want to go quietly. I want to arrive in heaven in a rush and skid in sideways in a cloud of dust yelling “Yahoo – what a ride” I want to be really excited about what I just left behind almost as much as I want to be excited at what I just started to experience.

Do you get excited about doing or being even a small part of God’s work here on earth? Does it excite you when you see or hear or experience real worship in the Spirit? I love to see dancing in worship. I love to hear singing in the Spirit or even to sing in the Spirit myself. I’m not that impressed by hundreds of people line-dancing like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh – but then I don’t have that sort of energy. Boing-boing-Worship-worship; Boing-boing-Worship-worship doesn’t do it for me although I do enjoy watching those with the energy bouncing around like battery operated pogo sticks. Yes – we are a ‘happy-clappy’, Spirit filled and lively church but this is more than usual.

I get excited when God manifests His presence with loud singing and dancing in the Spirit. I get excited when I hear a good prophetic word followed by 2 or 300 people going into spontaneous intercession – usually in their prayer tongues. I don’t know about your church, but in ours, we talk about a really good Spirit led meeting for days afterwards and we all get excited at the prospect of the next meeting. We have often been so excited by a meeting that we are on a ‘high’ for hours afterwards.

I get excited watching the little ones, usually the under-5’s, start dancing with the flags; holding their little arms and hands skywards – just worshipping our God. Oh, that is so anointed and so special. We recently had our drummers 18 month old son grab a mike and, hands in the air, joined in with the worship. A real show stopping tear-jerker of a moment – and he was totally oblivious. That child was singing and worshipping with all his little heart.

I get excited by our youth leaders accounts of goings on in their meetings – especially the big events and so-called ‘kids Alpha’ for teenagers. I get even more excited when over half of the baptism candidates are teenagers. I love it when one of them announces he is convicted over his use of his i-phone or i-pad during meetings.

Can you not see that the Lord is doing something extraordinary among our young people; even more than He is doing among the over 30’s?? There is still a reticence among the slightly older crowd that you don’t see among the teens. There is a wide-eyed expectancy among the teens that you don’t see among the older group.

There is an exuberance among the young that, perhaps, we have lost – but I believe it is only a temporary loss. There is a growing excitement about the things of God that not-yet-Christians just cannot understand. There is a difference in being ‘dunk in the Spirit’ as against being drunk on alcohol that the unsaved really struggle with accepting. There is something sufficiently different about today’s young Christians that just may be the key to unlocking revival.


Now that really could be different and it would be exciting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment