Monday 24 May 2010

Never too old for God

God surely does have a great sense of humour. Look at Joshua 13:1 – the Lord is speaking to Joshua who is, shall we say, getting on a bit. So how does the Lord cheer him up? “When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the LORD said to him, "You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.” - ‘You are very old . . . .’ As if Joshua needed reminding !! LOL I know people who would be absolutely mortified being told they are very old – especially by God !! As a dear friend often says – “oh my - oh my!”

Yet there is another truth hidden in here too. Don’t you just love the Bible? You can read a scripture 20 or 30 times and suddenly – it leaps out at you a slaps you round the face like a wet fish. You wonder, “Why did I not see that before?” To me this is one of the great joys of reading my Bible – the hidden truths which pop out suddenly – they surprise and delight you. So it is with this scripture. Josh 13:1 "You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.”

What this says and confirms to me is that we are NEVER TOO OLD to be of service in the Kingdom of God. As my Twitter bio says – “Think you are too old for God – Think again!!” My own testimony is that my ministry didn’t even start until I was 64 years old. Most of you think 64 = retirement. Not a bit of it. God only ever looks for a willing heart. The leading prayer warrior in my church is a little old lady of 87 years. Physically a bit wobbly on her pins – but spiritually she is a GIANT – a total inspiration to all of us and an object lesson too.

So too at 66 going on 67 years old I have discovered that the Lord hasn’t hardly begun with me yet. Oh wow – what a privilege! What a surprise! I am in full time ministry for RoFMI – and He has introduced me to someone – well what on earth can I say? God is the Lord of Suddenlies. Now, suddenly, I may well have a partner in ministry as well as a soul mate. Oh wow – can you even begin to imagine how grateful this makes me feel. I praise God and give Him ALL the Glory – all day long.

Yes – it’s true. Age is no barrier, no offence before the throne of God. A willing heart is all He seeks and, apparently, He has found two willing hearts. Isn’t He just a wonderful God.

Oh HALLELUJAH \o/

1 comment: