Tuesday 25 May 2010

Song of Solomon

Have you read this book lately? No, what I mean is this – have you really read it? All 8 chapters of it. Slowly, carefully, and fully – as you would any other Bible study you do - asking the Lord for His view. Oh – this book blew my mind away this morning when I read it. It blew someone else’s mind too, when I read it to her as I think it is – a love poem. The poetry, the romance, the love – the sheer beauty of the language. Sadly, I know people who would not read this book because the language – “Oh dear - the language.”

Let me ask you this - Is God a prude? Does He get all embarrassed when we read this Book aloud? No He doesn’t. Is He ashamed of the various parts of the body that He made? No He is not. Is He ashamed when He hears us read any other scripture? This can only go downhill from here can’t it?

Does this remind you of what happened in the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve covered their bodies – it does me. Yet – This is the Book, the Song of Songs, He had written; He had saved for thousands of years; and He then gave us as a part of His WORD.

So - Let me ask you something else – Is the Bible the inerrant Word of God or not. Do we believe it cover to cover? If it’s not inerrant or not the Word of God, then what do we think we are doing quoting it all the time? “Yes but – but – Well there’s some passages that really are quite rude!” Well if it is a little ‘undignified’ then, why do we still avoid these ‘hard’ passages so that we won’t tread on someone’s wee dainties.

The Bible is a grown up book – it is not a children’s bed-time book. David danced wildly and naked before the Ark of the Covenant as it returned. We don’t avoid that passage do we? Yet I cannot remember ever hearing the Song of Songs as the base text for a sermon – can you ?

I beg you – read this book and marvel with me at the indescribable beauty of it. Husbands, wives – read it to each other. Yes go on!! Bring some real Godly romance into your lives. God didn’t go to all the bother of having this wonderful book written and included in the Bible for some of us to censor it !!

No comments:

Post a Comment