Thursday 26 January 2012

Arbiters of Truth

Theology, Truth, and Calvary

Poor Holy Spirit. How He must have grieved over the ages. How we, the church, must have caused Him to lament not just our obduracy but our plain distortion of that which He has said to us over the years. I speak of course as one to whom the finer points of theology are a total mystery. I am not a theologian nor am I a fan of theology per sé. I like to believe that me and Holy Spirit have one thing in common and that is our distaste for theology.

I have often wondered how on earth the church ended up with so many different interpretations of scripture, so many different opinions as to ‘correct’ dogma or doctrine? Scholars have for millennia argued about theology and doctrine. We have heard so many pulpits declaring that unless we accept their articles of belief, and hold fast to their version of doctrinal matters, then we are all going to hell.

Holy Spirit was given to us with a fairly clear mandate – to lead us into all truth. John 16:13 “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.” So, if Holy Spirit has been speaking truth to everyone, how come we have written it down with such different interpretations?

Let me ask you all a question – Which one of you can state that you are the arbiter of truth; that you have the sole title deed on truth? Actually, I suspect quite a few will lay claim to that. However, I suspect that I, like millions of others have never decided on a church based on its theology but rather on two things.

Firstly, do we feel comfortable in this church? Are we made to feel welcome? Are we met by friendly, smiling, welcoming Christian people? Or are we made to feel uncomfortable and not very welcome at all?

Secondly, is there love in this church, do people make you feel at home, look after you, and make sure you stay for coffee and a chat afterwards. Jesus said that “by their fruit shall we know them”. I have always found this a better guide to a church than any theological argument. Where is the love in a church? If it is there for all to see and feel, then from my personal viewpoint, this is where I want to put down some roots.

A third and finalising pointer is this - does this church welcome other churches into their gatherings? Do they ‘swap’ preachers? Do they share everything in common belief and perhaps those not in common but in acceptance of our fellow Christian brothers and sisters? Do we all have in common belief enough for us to move forward in unity. Jesus spoke at length on unity in John 17:20-21 ““My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”

I am proud to say that many of the churches in our area do have a unity of purpose and mission. They do share pulpits, meetings, and outreaches into the local community to such an extent that they are used by our local council/authority to help with many cases where the authorities rules preclude them from action but the churches, acting in love, can reach out and help – independently and without any prejudice whatsoever.

I do not claim any extra truths for us in this, but I do believe that we are choosing to ignore our differences so as to reach the unloved and unwanted sections of society. As such, I believe we are hearing and acting on what Holy Spirit says and bringing the mercies of Calvary to bear on our situation rather than arguing about whose theology fits each case best – as has happened in years gone by.

All I am saying is this – give me Calvary first before any theological discussion. I would rather enact Holy Spirit’s truth than try to write it down and rationalise it. I don’t think anyone, or any denomination, is the sole proprietor of truth and, as a simple man, I can only obey Jesus and know anyone, or any church, by their fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment