Sunday 29 January 2012

A Plan for Today ??

Today’s Evangelism

Here is a four point evangelism plan for today’s busy lifestyle. I have heard it several times before but I was reminded of it today. I was watching God TV during the day – only because our internet and telephone services were still down after 5 days, but that’s another story. The question really is, or seems to be, why was our internet and phone down. I believe that God wanted to show us a couple of things and to teach us not to rely so heavily on them for communication.

I thought about this for a while and I realised that, for all my on line ‘preaching’, for all my supposed ministry – both alone and with my wife, for all these things, how many people am I truly meeting? I am almost certainly meeting fellow Christians and encouraging them. This is good, BUT, how many non-Christians do I reach? Not many. Do I need any further proof of Pauls words in Phil 3:8, “for all my efforts I count it all rubbish compared to my salvation in Jesus Christ” That’s right. All my efforts are loss, rubbish, garbage, filthy rags compared to my gain on Salvation through Jesus. All of my efforts, that I have fondly believed were being helpful and serving His Kingdom – even admired by some – are as nothing in the great scheme of things. Many of us are in the very same place. Working earnestly and feverishly but sadly, working somewhat ineffectively for the Kingdom of God.

So, what form might be better for my evangelism; my efforts for the Lord? I offer you a system for evangelism, or even a program for new Christians, which at first sight is how the first church worked. It is based upon Luke 10:1-24 where Jesus sent out the 72 disciples. It is also the same process as Jesus Himself used.

Meet together in the church or, if folk are wary of entering a church, then in your houses. Acts 2 relates how the first church met in each others houses, sharing everything so that none were in need. The time before a meal is for getting to know any strangers around you. Social chit chat may be a little stilted at first but as folk relax because you are NOT preaching at them straight away, they will simply start to enjoy themselves.

Eat a meal Jesus said to the 72 disciples, whom He sent out, to eat “Whatever they put before you” (Luke 10:7) They simply shared food. If you hold a bring and share meal, where everyone brings a little something, then just eat what’s on offer. There’s nothing like a meal for breaking the ice. People feel at home and relaxed eating together. There is always chatter going on round a meal table.

Fellowship and ministry – healing and prayer were meat and drink to Jesus and they should be to us too. Never ask how somebody is or how they are feeling if you don’t want to know the answer. If they are feeling low, or ill, or bothered by something, offer to pray for them or with them. Pray expecting answers, especially healings. How many times in the New Testament do we read that Jesus “healed all who were sick” before He began preaching or teaching them. It was His Modus Operandi and I see no reason whatsoever to change that. Feed them, heal them, then teach or preach to them.

Preach and teach the gospel was the last thing Jesus did when in a crowd. That’s because the last thing people expect or want is for a complete stranger to immediately start haranguing them about God and faith and things. Give people a break. They should know where you’re coming from, if you set the meeting up right, so treat them with respect and gentleness, with mercy not condemnation.

Well ??????

2 comments:

  1. Don't minimize the importance of your internet ministry. As in all things to do with serving the Lord you never know know He is using your words. There may be someone reading what you're writing that really needs it. I have been contacted by people I never read anything I wrote yet they sought my advice because for some reason they felt comfortable. Be yourself, let God work and be amazed by the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that lovely word of encouragement. Bless you

    ReplyDelete