Monday 21 November 2011

What Season are You in?

Seasons

I love those little unexpected chats I seem t have with the Lord. We just had lunch at Four Seasons Garden Centre here in Sleaford. An excellent lunch it was too and we will not be needing much, if any more food today. However, soon after we arrived back home, the Lord asked me, “What season is it?” Funny question, I thought, but the Lord persisted with me. “What season is it?” So I said, “Lord, its autumn, or fall – but you already know that, don’t you?” “No”, He replied, “I mean what season is it for you?” Interesting now, I thought about it first, then I replied, “I suppose Lord, It’s a season of waiting on You?” I ventured, a little hopefully.

“Quite right”, He surprised me with this response. “Now, why do you think I allow you to have seasons like this?” Oh boy, you know when you are getting out of your depth don’t you? Well this appeared to be the start of one of those ‘think or thwim’ sessions. However, I am game if nothing else, so I thought again for a bit, then I answered, “I guess, Lord, it’s so you can get my complete attention and drum Your message into me?” Again the Lord surprised me. “Yes, that’s about the measure of it.” He said, “It is indeed so I can get the full extent of My message into you. You are not alone in being a little reluctant to listen to everything I try to say to you. So, every once in a while, I have to slow you down a bit and press or imprint My full message into you.”

This made me think a bit about the goodness of God. He knows our weaknesses and all our little foibles, but He allows for them when He deals with us. I imagine it was the case with Moses. When the Lord had tried a few times by more subtle means, He finally resorted to something that caught Moses’ eye and imprinted itself on his memory. I mean, not everyone sees a burning bush in the middle of the desert do they? Same with Saul on the road to Damascus. Jesus was probably trying hard to get through to him without much success so He finally thought, “Right sunshine, I’m gonna have to send you a message you cannot mistake.” And He did. In both cases, Moses and Saul, the Lord had a new season waiting for them and He had to almost drag them, kicking and screaming, into the new place.

So it has been with me and my wife too. The Lord has brought us to a new place, literally – a new place 150 miles from the old one. We knew He had brought us here, but we knew not why He had done so. However, this past week or so, we have been through the mill a little bit. struggling to find a reason for all that has been happening. Suddenly, one or two things become clear, and one or two reasons also began to manifest themselves. Both of us can now see at least one reason for this past season – probably two reasons if you also count bedding us into the church community and getting us known a little.

It’s not just at a personal level either. Our local churches have been going through seasons of great uncertainty. We have all known for a while now that there is coming a move of God in this area that is going to surprise us all in its intensity. Now I can warn the church that it is not just the intensity, it will be the direction too. This coming move of God will be one not at all similar to previous moves. This one involves much greater unity amongst the churches, and a huge emphasis on returning to 1st Century (Book of Acts) Christianity. The church is about to erupt out of her cosy buildings and will start to demonstrate Christ’s love to the surrounding area in such a profound manner that even the authorities will take notice. The Church will begin to return to being the hub of the community in this coming season, maybe even in this final season before Jesus returns.

To get back where I started, we are here for this coming season. You have heard of the five-fold ministry. Well I think there may just be a sixth ministry – that of trainer. Those who help to train up the church ready for the coming season. What have we got to offer? I haven’t a clue but I do know that whom the Lord chooses He uses, and whom He uses He equips.

I am watching the signs of the times very closely right now, because I don’t think this coming season is going to be a long one. In fact, I think it’s going to be a very short one – very intense but very short.

Keep your ears and eyes open and your aerial up – it’s all about to break. The cloud that was once the size of a man’s hand is much bigger and much closer – and it is bringing rain like you’ve never imagined – latter rain. This move of God is upon us – any day now.

If I may quote one of my own more recent blogs - "I believe that the world and his brother is sick and tired of any Christianity that simply talks about all their failings, yet fails to do anything itself. The world is waiting, almost with bated breath, for Christians to come out of their sanctified retreats and demonstrate Christ’s love for them"

1 comment:

  1. I think that if you thought about it a bit, you would see that you have much to offer as a trainer. But the biggest reason is that the Holy Spirit, who is responsible for building up the Body knows exactly what He needs. And if he has placed His hand on you...go with Boldness. He will not abandon you and He will give you the words to speak. You have nothing to fear. Blessings Chris...this should be an event-filled, Holy Spirit year for you! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete