Tuesday 15 November 2011

Worship with your Heart

Worship

There is something about worship that just makes me goose-bump all over. I have been standing, arms raised, in exultant worship; and I have been on my knees, bowed to the ground, sobbing in worship. This very morning, Sunday appropriately enough, I watched a You Tube video of praise and worship at a major UK Christian festival called Grapevine. Along with many in the backing group and in the audience, I had tears just rolling down my face as I watched Chris Bowater lead the singing of “The Power of the Cross” - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=deL06aw8xeg

It was truly amazing. The anointing that flowed through that giant tent as thousands of worshippers sang a wonderfully anointed song. The anointing flowed from my computer and I got goose-bumps again as I watched the video again. Later this morning, as we prepared for Remembrance Day (Veterans Day in the USA) and the few moments of silence in memory of the fallen of two world wars, we sang a beautiful old Wesley c hymn and once again the anointing flowed. It doesn’t need a good modern song to do this. All it needs is a few open hearts, ready to receive whatever the Lord has for them, for Holy Spirit to start to manifest and minister to those who would receive Him.

There is so much well intended nonsense talked about praise and worship – about preparation, about how to stand, or sit, or kneel, about what to say and how to say it. All Holy Spirit is looking for is an open heart – He is seeking those who seek Him with child-like faith and simplicity. He doesn’t need an atmosphere. He doesn’t need a plan. He needs open hearts and simple faith.

Mark 10:13-16 (MSG) “The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: "Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very centre of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in." Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them. “

If we do not come to Him ‘as a child’, we will never find Him. Indeed, as the scripture says, we won’t get into the Kingdom of Heaven at all unless we have faith like that of a child. So it must also be with our worship. He doesn’t need extravagant gestures or flowery words, or even brilliant musicians and wonderful songs – although these can help of course. No, all He needs is our hearts. What does God’s Word say in Psalm 51:10-12? “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.”

Amen?

2 comments:

  1. Amen Chris! One of my best memories was at a men's retreat where we all got together in the mess hall and sang "O for a thousand tongues to sing!" Yes..there is something about worshiping a Great God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEP Chris ..the heart ofa child is still pure ..as Manning Says... Children are the eligiblity and entrance criteria for heaven ..they still know how to jump for joy and authentically demonstrate feelings ..last sun in church a 70 yr old preacher did the same ..jumped up and down in his sermon just like a 7 yr old ..that too was inspiring..blessings to you my fine british buddy

    ReplyDelete