Monday 5 December 2011

The Christian Journey

On My Way

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But thank God I`m not what I used to be" RT Kendall

This quotation struck me somewhat the other day. I first heard it a while back but, like so many things, the Lord saved it up for just the right moment when I might take it in and fully understand what the author was saying.

‘I am not what I ought to be’. I ought to be a bit more sanctified, but I’m not. I ought to be a bit more holy, but I’m not. I ought to love my neighbour more than myself, but I don’t. Having said that, however, I also don’t beat myself up about it too much either. Jesus didn’t have any illusions about us. He knew that we have to make a heart decision about everything in order to even begin to look more like Him. It’s called dying to self and living to God and it is probably the hardest thing we will ever have to do. That’s why He gave us Holy Spirit – to help us walk along the path of denial of self in order to keep on the narrow path that leads to eternal life.

‘I am not what I want to be.’ I want to be more like Jesus. I want to be a better spouse/child/parent/friend/witness to Jesus – but I can do none of these things without You, Lord. I want to be good but it just seems to be impossible for me most of the time. I want to be Your friend, Lord – how can I expect to do that Lord unless your Holy Spirit fills me and keeps me filled. I want to be whatever You want me to be Lord.

‘I am not what I hope to be.’ I hope to somehow be worthy of your love Lord. I know that’s not possible because You love me unconditionally so worthiness doesn’t come into it. I hope to be used by You Lord. God looks at your heart. If He sees a willingness there, then He will use even you – as you are, where you are – and He will enable you to do whatever He asks of you. I hope to be a prophet/missionary/ preacher/pastor one day. What is God calling you to? Do your hopes align with His plan and will for you? I hope so, otherwise you may be disappointed.

Thank God I`m not what I used to be. I used to be a sinner on death row and bound for hell, but now I’m a sinner saved by grace. Jesus paid the price for me and you at Calvary. He bore our sin and paid the cost of our sin. He atoned for everything we had done and everything we will ever do that deserves God’s punishment. Jesus did it all – once and for all time – on the cross at Calvary.

I am not what I ought to be, in which case this advice is for you. Whatever you are doing that is wrong in God’s eyes – stop it. Just stop it. Say you’re sorry, turn your life around, and move on.

I am not what I want to be, but don’t beat yourself up about it. Jesus will forgive you and the Holy Spirit will teach you a better way – God’s way for your life.

I am not what I hope to be, so set yourself some goals. Not impossible great big ones but small achievable goals. Ask the Lord to help you and He will do it !!! Watch in amazement as the Lord works a miracle in your life. Whatever you do, do NOT give in. Determine to do all things to His glory and He will help you.

Thank God I`m not what I used to be – And you’re getting better and better daily. Little by little, bit by bit, inch by inch you are getting nearer to the way Jesus wants you to be.

Personally, I’m not there yet, but I’m on my way.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Chris...It's not so much where you are now, but what direction you are traveling. The Holy Spirit is the one who guides us on this journey. And while I might not be where I think I should be, I am exactly where HE wants me to be. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete