Saturday 31 December 2011

Jan 1 2012

2012 New Year Resolutions

I have 10 important resolutions for 2012. They are as important for you as they are for me as they are about how I relate to people. Yet they are still very personal, so if I bore you with them, just switch off and amuse yourself somehow.

1. I will be a better husband, dad, and granddad. I will not be so quiet at home. I will not be so absorbed by my activities that I ignore anyone, especially when in their company.

2. I will not end up a part-time Christian by doing less than I can or should be doing. I will cheerfully do that which I am asked to do and I will happily do many more things without being asked. I will no longer assume that it’s not my job.

3. I will remember that I cannot do everything, and that it’s not my responsibility to do everything either. So I will make sure my "not to do" list is as big as my "to do list". Things that I want to be doing are not to be my priority unless they are God’s priority..

4. I will learn to consider my wife, and others, more than myself. I will no longer be as selfish as I have been in the past. I will try to die to self that I may live to Him. I will be a servant to all.

5. I will not obsess about people, about things around the house, and about money as God is in control and His promises are good enough for me.

6. I will do something adventurous, go somewhere different, with my wife every month.

7. I will have a hobby – probably photography – but I will not allow it to become obsessive. And it won't be a permanent competition either - I'm just far too competitive.

8. I will travel to experience other churches, leaders, thinkers. I will also enjoy ordinary people just as much or even more than the ‘famous’ ones.

9. I will not become cynical about miracles nor over familiar with God's presence. I will try to hear the Holy Spirit more often and more clearly. I will not assume His presence, nor His favour.

10. I will try to smile more but joke less. Flippancy is not good and is a cheap way of getting amusement – usually at someone else’s expense.

P.S. #11. I will probably fail occasionally and I ask your gentle reminder and forgiveness whenever it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment