Sunday 20 January 2013

Building with God



Building with God

Sometimes God asks us to do things for Him. Some things are little, easy things, but sometimes, when He asks us, we step back and say, “How am I going to do that, Lord?” It is at moments like this that He allows us to glimpse both His might, and His majesty.

Yet, nothing happens until we take that first faltering step of faith and try to start to do whatever He has asked us to do.

That first step becomes one of those seminal moments – a moment we remember for a very long time; a moment when we see for ourselves as God begins to move into action, a moment when our faith really starts to grow.

This was so for us when the Lord woke me in the middle of the night to tell me and show me something. How many of you know that when God wakes you up in the night, it is important? That is when He can be assured of our complete attention because, if nothing else, we are wondering, “What’s up?” In our case, He had been sending us messages through others for days and we had laughed, thinking not only that this wasn’t for us but that it was, really, a bit of a standing joke between us and all the messengers.

But He wasn’t joking.

So the Lord woke me at an hour that just doesn’t normally exist on my clock and for two hours He showed me His vision for the task ahead. So we went for it and guess what? It is happening – despite us I’m sure, but it is happening nevertheless. Now the Lord has given me further confirmation of our tasking. I was prompted to look up a scripture. Not being certain where to find it I searched and the search came back with several suggestions. The first one I looked at amazed me – as much by its unexpectedness as by its prophetic content.  It is 1 Chronicles 28:10 “Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be strong, and do it.”

Appropriate? Oh yes. I was actually searching for this next text, although I didn’t realise its significance until I read the first one in Chronicles. I was seeking Psalm 127:1 “Unless the Lord builds the house, They labour in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain.” Why was I led to seek this text? Well, I guess the Lord wanted to encourage us and inspire us to greater efforts whilst assuring us of His presence and His hand being on us.

The whole point of this little message is that on our own, we cannot build anything, but with God building with us, then we can build whatever He asks us to build. I am reminded once again that “It’s not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the Lord.” Actually, it is only when God builds with us that we are able to build anything worthwhile at all.

Just trying to put it all into a proper perspective – God’s perspective. That’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment