Tuesday 15 January 2013

Thankfulness



Thankfulness

I have so much for which to thank God. So very much. I have food and shelter. I have enough money to buy more food and to keep me warm this winter. I have a wonderful loving relationship with my wife and our family. I have a wonderful loving relationship with my church family too. I have good health. I have a wonderful loving Saviour and a close relationship with Him which allows me to talk with Him any time, anywhere.

I really do have a great deal for which to be grateful. So do so many other people – but some of them either don’t know it, or they somehow cannot acknowledge it or even recognise it. Others always want more no matter how much they already have. With winter threatening to land some of that cold, wet, white stuff on us, many people are stockpiling almost anything they can get their hands on. They give little or no thought to those in their midst who cannot do the same for whatever reason – finances, mobility, old age – it doesn’t register at all.

Some people are simply ungrateful. Whatever their situation, their glass is always half empty. They always want more; they deserve more; they demand more; and they will do almost anything to get more. I watched in absolute amazement one holiday weekend as a lady filled three shopping trolleys, a shopping buggy to you American ladies, with food of every description. She must have had enough to feed a whole army regiment and it cost her about £400. Imagine how shocked I was to see her just two days after the weekend with two more shopping trolleys full of food costing another £200+.

Now imagine my feelings upon reading a recent national newspaper headline announcing that we throw away nearly half the food we buy. I felt every emotion from outright disgust to mischievous glee at the thought that at least one person to my knowledge probably wasted in the region of £300 or $500 on food that was thrown away – wasted. With half the world under-fed and under-nourished, here we are in the West throwing half the food we buy into the rubbish.

I took all of these thoughts to the Lord. Not to complain or whine but I just wanted to unload my feelings. I mean, in our ministry in this small Midlands town of Sleaford, we see many who could live royally on that one woman’s discards for a long time. Yet they have no money and no home. They come to our food bank for their food. Some love it but more hate the ignominy and perceived “disgrace” of living on handouts. No matter how many come, we try to treat them all with the same respect and dignity. Some are still shamefaced about it; some want more; but some are truly grateful. These few have an attitude of gratitude.

An attitude of gratitude is what we all need to develop. Gratitude begets a cheerful and giving spirit. Gratitude helps us appreciate not just that which we have but also that which we both give and receive. The attitude of gratitude knows how to receive a blessing – any blessing no matter how “small” it may seem to others. Gratitude spills over into our relationship with God and He blesses us some more. We have been on the receiving end of this – and we are grateful. It has taught us that we must all make room for a little gratitude in our lives. Gratitude to God for all His blessings, however they arrive, and gratitude that spawns a giving, sharing, blessing attitude towards others.

Develop the attitude of gratitude and pass it on to all you meet. It will bless you as well as blessing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment