Saturday 12 January 2013

In Quietness and Confidence



In Quietness and Confidence

Have you noticed that preachers frequently shout their message at their audience rather than speaking their message to their audience. There is something inherently  ill-mannered about shouting. Social media is full of it. Instead of actual shouting, many folk send entire messages in capital letters. It’s like shouting that “you will hear me even if you don’t wish to listen.” In an age when it seems that he who shouts loudest gets heard first and therefore listened to, it is somewhat inspiring to receive advice that runs contrary to this.

I had been discussing my unaccustomed nervousness over my latest tasking when my friend made the remark. I received a text that simply said “In quietness and confidence will be your strength.” What revelation does my friend have that I don’t have? Quietness has never been my style. I am brash and noisy; given to sharp humour usually at others expense. What’s all this about quietness? My wife gently reminded me that, quite frequently, when I speak in church, I tend to get quieter and quieter – almost forcing people to listen hard. Hmmm – this is complex.

When I think back over a few decades, many of the very best speakers I have been privileged to have heard in person were not shouters but expounded their messages quietly and with a certainty of heart that made their message ring true – certainly more true than if it had been bellowed at us with a belligerence that said, “Argue with me at your peril.”

So, if my leading and my speaking is done in quietness and with gentleness, then I think I am to assume it will have far more effect than if I shout and make a lot of un-necessary noise about everything. Certainly, quietly spoken requests are far more likely to receive the acquiescent response.

I may have to give this a proper go – see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment