Monday 26 September 2011

Natural Beauty

Natural Beauty

I went on a trip today. It is the eve of my 68th birthday – NO I am not soliciting greetings – and my precious wife took me out for the day. It was precious for her too as she had not seen hill country since coming here from the USA. We went to the Peak District National Park at Monsal Head. A stunning place with all sorts of terrain to walk – plenty of those big steep things called hills – rocky paths – the lot. Natural beauty at its very best in the UK. As we walked along I found myself praising the Lord and singing that wonderful old hymn/chorus “I surrender all”. Suddenly I turned to my wife and asked, “Seeing all of this, how can anyone say there was no creation?”

People do say that you know.

Now we are home again and I’m thinking about it. I am reminded of the fallacious yet amusing little definition of the ‘Big Bang’ theorists. They belief there was nothing, and that nothing was happening to all that nothing. Then that believe that all of the nothing they believe was there, simply exploded for no reason whatsoever, thus creating everything – everything mark you – earth, sun, moon, stars, galaxies, the whole and entire universe – all ‘created’ when nothing went bang. Then, some of the things that got created because the nothing that was originally there exploded, started to be alive, with lungs and eyes and teeth and everything – all for no explicable reason. What is even more impressive is that these now living things were able to replicate – sometimes through some kind of egg and sometimes through live birth. These replicating creatures were called dinosaurs.

That’s their theory anyway.

Well, I, for one, don’t believe their theory. I believe in creation just as related for us in Genesis chapter one – “In the beginning God created heaven and earth.” That’s how it all started – God created !! Actually, there is a silly story about a man who claimed he too could create life – just as God had. When he died, he was called into God and asked to demonstrate his creative abilities. He started sweeping up some dirt and dust. The Lord asked him, “What are you doing please?” “Well”, said the man, “Your Bible says that you created man from the dust of the earth. I propose to do the same.” “Oh I see”, said God. “Then would you mind making your own dust please – just like I had to?”

You see God spoke everything into existence. “Let there be light”, “Let there be . . . . “. Just about everything was spoken into existence by God with that one simple phrase, “Let there be . . . . . ”

Actually, I have no particular problems with the theory that God made a big bang and He created everything from nothing. Yet I do have such a huge problem with any who says there was no creation, there was only evolution. What went bang? What evolved from what?

I’m bored with the creation vs evolution argument already.

Let’s all sing together


All to Jesus I surrender

All to Him I freely give,

I will always love and trust Him

In His presence daily live.


All together now –


I surrender all

I surrender all

All to thee my blessed Saviour

I surrender all


There – don’t you feel better for that. I know I do.

It’s my birthday and I'm allowed :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment