Friday 23 September 2011

Time & Eternity

I Don’t Have Time!

What is it about time that so drives us to do everything according to the clock? We are always looking at our watches, glancing at a clock, or somehow checking to see if we have time to do things. “I just don’t have the time!” must be the most frustrated cry of most people.

We have 60 seconds in a minute – and every second counts. We have 60 minutes in an hour – we will be there in just a minute. We have 24 hours in a day – four o’clock, is that the time already? We have 365 days in a year – and isn’t time just flying past? Why, it’s September already.

We live in a time driven and a time conscious world. It’s time to get up, time to eat, time to leave for work, made it just in time, lunch time, tea time, going home time, supper time, and bed time – so ends another day.

What will we do in heaven? There is no time there. No really, think about this a moment. No clocks, no watches, no seconds, no minutes, no hours, no days, no months, no years – no time. Hey that’s good, if there’s no time, there’s no birthdays, no feast days, no high days nor holidays. Nothing like that at all – no time. There will be no money, no bills and no taxes either, and probably a few other bonuses, but it’s time that concerns me here.

So, I get to heaven and I have my diary, my computer, and my watch simply disappear as I go through the pearly gates. How am I going to know when to do things? If there is no time, is there even any day and night? I assume not because there is no darkness where God is because God is light. That doesn’t help either – it still doesn’t tell me how I will know when to do anything.

Thinking into this a bit further, the same rules must also apply in hell, so switching venues won’t help one jot. What am I going to do if I don’t know when I am needed for a task? I have no means of telling when to do that task. I have no idea how long I have for the task, nor how long it will actually take, nor even when to start or when to finish.

Wait a moment. . . . If there is no longer any time, I have no worries about being late. I don’t have to fret about remembering my wife’s birthday or our anniversary. No more stroppy teenagers - yahoo !!! The idea is growing on me by the minute.

Lord, I’m beginning to think you hit a winner here. A timeless eternity – sounds quite good to me.

Oh no – I am just too late to watch that ball game.

1 comment:

  1. amen.....isn't a great thought to think of being on God's time in eternity instead of our time in this world? Yippy Skippy! :)

    ReplyDelete