Saturday 22 December 2012

False Christianity



False Christianity

Do you know the people I feel most sorry for? It’s not the atheists with their stubborn denial of anything to do with any god, anywhere. It’s not the not-yet-Christians in their lost state or their false pride or even in their addictions and bondage. It’s not the followers of other gods or any kind of false religion. It’s not even those Christians in dead churches following a dead religion wrapped in legalism.

No – the people I feel most sorry for are those who practice a false Christianity. Usually it’s a form of genuine Christianity tainted by mis-quoted values and beliefs. But why feel sorry for these people? Because the Word says that, to some people, Jesus will say, “I did not know you.” And I really don’t want this to be those living a false Christianity.

I know that Jesus also tells us that if they are not against us then they are for us but He also tells them to stay on the narrow path through the narrow gate and I cannot help but think of those who seem to worship money as much as they worship the Lord, or those who preach equality of religions or many ways to God. I fear I am speaking yet again about those who practice and follow prosperity teaching, and those who preach Chrislam. They are in this mix, but so too are others who perhaps preach a separatist gospel or even sole authority for the church. Even self appointed guardians of faith or revival are not exempt from the group.

Anyone who distorts and twists biblical teaching or takes authority only given to Christ is in danger. These are they to whom the Lord may well say, “Away from me. I did not know you.” What a dreadful thing to hear – it is the one thing I dread. After believing all my Christian life that I am serving my Lord and Saviour – to hear those dread words. Oh the agony! This is why we must all be careful where we place our trust and our faith. It must be in Jesus Christ alone, Him crucified for our sin and salvation, risen, and sitting at the right hand of God the Father. Who, with the Father and Holy Spirit , is our triune God-head.

These alone are our salvation through Grace – the free and loving free gift – not earned in any way – reuniting a fallen world with our Creator and our Saviour. Oh Lord, that I should never offend or grieve You again. But that will not happen until I am joined with you; until I cast my crown before You in worship and adoration. Forgive me Lord, for my indiscretions are many but with Your Spirit’s help Lord, I will improve.

Lord - Let my Christianity be both genuine and biblical. Let it not be tainted by issues straight from the enemy’s camp. Let it be the truth, scripturally, and with the love of my Saviour fresh every morning. Let my lamp always be full and my wick trimmed ready for use to light the Bridegrooms way. Let my light shine so as to attract people who do not yet know You, and let my love for my neighbour never waver nor dim. Let my love for You, Lord, grow every day and show every day so that it’s You that people see – not me.

2 comments: