Saturday 15 December 2012

Psalm 23



Psalm 23 (MSG)

This beautiful and well loved psalm is a worshippers song of thanksgiving to a loving Lord. It is just as relevant today as when David wrote it those many years ago.

God, my shepherd!  
God, in Jesus, is my Good Shepherd.  He knows what He wants for me; He knows where to find it for me; He guards, guides, and protects me – even at the expense of His own precious life on the cross at Calvary.

I don’t need a thing.   
He is Jehovah Jireh, God my provider. With Him beside me, I need for nothing nor lack for a single thing. Oh I daresay there are those things I would like, but Jesus knows whether or not I need them. If I don’t need them, I can rest content that my every need is still catered for.

You have bedded me down in lush meadows,  you find me quiet pools to drink from. 
He gives me a place to sleep, secure in His care. He gives me food and drink. I am catered for.

True to your word,  you let me catch my breath  and send me in the right direction.  
I receive my refreshing and rest from Him. When He wakes me to each fresh new morning, He directs my path. In moments of prayer and in His Word, He gives each day depth and meaning and direction. I start each day in Jesus refreshed and ready for whatever is to come. There is nothing going to happen at any time that I, with Jesus, cannot handle.

Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I’m not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd’s crook makes me feel secure.  
Even when the days are dark and forbidding, even when I am at deaths’ door, either through the length of days or through illness, or through accident, even then I have no need of fear. My soul rests easy knowing that even in death I will still be with Him. Indeed in death I will finally meet Him face to face and we shall dance together in heaven.

You serve me a six-course dinner  right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing.
Lord, you are not just my provider. You make provision for me even as my enemies gather round. You bless every step of my life, and you bring blessing to those I love and cherish too. As your Word says, Lord, there is nothing and nowhere in all of Your great creation when I will be separated from You. My enemies may not understand Lord, but my joy too rests secure in you.

Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.  
I have you with me everywhere I go and at every moment of my life Lord because, even when I lose sight of You, so You still chase after me – reminding me of Your blessed presence with me at all times.

I’m back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.  
Finally, whenever I may draw my last breath Lord, so you will be there too to take me home to that place you have prepared for me.

So, Lord, I will spend all of my natural life here with You at my side, and when it’s all over, I shall spend eternity with you too, Lord. What a blessing those thoughts are to my soul. No wonder the hymn writer wrote, “It is well with my soul.” What joy to know Your presence Lord, what joy to hear Your voice, what Joy to spend time with you every single day. I would be foolish indeed to miss out on this blessing and I would be so very selfish not to pass it on to as many people as I can while there is still time.

This beautiful and well loved psalm is a worshippers song of thanksgiving to a loving God. Lord, let me sing this song of praise to you even as you sing over me.

Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment