Saturday 8 December 2012

Its Christmas



Its Christmas

As a Facebook friend said this morning, “If the Angels brought good news to the shepherds and to all mankind, do you think, after 2000 years, we need to tell them?”

I think it is important that we do tell everyone we see that it is Christmas. I think it is important that we greet everyone we meet with a cheerful “Merry Christmas”. All this politically correct rubbish about winter holiday only exacerbates my longing to make Jesus known more.

Personally, I couldn’t care less that Christmas, per sé, began as a pagan festival. Today, it is when the church and all Christians celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ – Emmanuel – God with us. General William Booth, of Salvation Army fame, once said the he would gladly take anything from the devil, sanctify it, and use it for God’s Glory. So I take that old pagan festival, I sanctify it in Jesus Name, and I call it Christmas.

Christmas is the season of goodwill to ALL men. The season when God became incarnate and came among us as a man. A man born to die for the sins of the whole world. Isn’t that a gift worth telling about? Isn’t that a gift worth celebrating?

Join with me and shout it loud

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments:

Post a Comment