Saturday 10 August 2013

No Hiding Place

No Hiding Place

So often we seem to run away from God. We try to hide from Him; from His presence. I’ve done it myself. For around 20 years, I shrank from and ran away from God. Yet, looking back, I was never out of His presence. His hand was always on me.

The one thing the Lord gave me that stuck with me all those wilderness years was my Bible. Although I loved it and read it, I always thought that I did so ‘secretly’ – no-one saw me and I never talked about it. Even though I went to church, I didn’t think that God was with me nor could He see me. I thought I hid myself well.

All I really did was to bury myself deeper and deeper within His love. Without realising it, I was allowing Him to love me and guide me. It wasn’t for years that I realised the truth of Psalm 139:7-12 “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.  If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,  Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.  If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,” Even the night shall be light about me; Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You”.

Then, one fine day towards the end of my ‘hiding’, He revealed Romans 8:38-39 to me – “ For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,  neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

He began to open the scriptures to me and to talk to me. That’s when I found Psalm 139 too. Now I have found that many others have trod the same walk; the same path. Many others have run away from God; denied Him; scorned Him too. But, as with me, He has never left them for one moment, never left their side nor abandoned them. Eventually, we all come to that point of revelation, but only when we are ready.

That is when we all find that there is no hiding place from God. There is no place where He cannot reach us, touch us, save us. There is no point beyond which we are free of Him or outside His love for us. We run away from God until He catches us and so captivates us that we never want to be elsewhere again.


Isn’t that worth a Hallelujah? \o/

No comments:

Post a Comment