Tuesday 17 April 2012

Lifting Jesus High

Be Lifted High

There is a song “You be lifted high” by Michael W Smith that inspires me anew every time I hear the words of the chorus.

You be lifted high
You be lifted high
You be lifted high in my life
Oh God
And I fall to my knees
So it's you that they see
Not I
Jesus, you be lifted high

“And I fall to my knees, so it’s you that they see, not I, Jesus”

What wonderful words. What a privilege to sing them. What a greater privilege to enact them – to kneel before Him, (get out of the way), so that others may not see us, but rather that they may see Him. We sang this song last night at church.

We are on a voyage of discovery lately. We are discovering the fullness of joy as we worship. We are discovering that, when we use only our voices to worship, there is a certain level of anointing – of the sense of His presence.

We are discovering that when we lift up our hands in worship, whether to give to or receive from God, then there is a more powerful anointing. Then, yesterday, we discovered that when we express our worship through our bodies – through our entire being, whether with our hands or our feet, or our whole body, then there is a level of powerful anointing we have not experienced before.

I have never before experienced the sheer joy of worshiping through my whole body. For a start, I lost all fear of whatever others may be thinking about me, or what they were doing. I was simply lost in the love of God that enveloped me as I worshiped and as I sang my praises to Him. There came a point when it no longer mattered who was listening because I knew that God was listening and enjoying it all with me. I was lost in the joy of worship – and so were about 60 or 70 people around me. There was dancing breaking out. Not your usual worship dancing but twirling partners round and dosey doh-iing and folk joyfully clapping along with them.

This was an amazing time of discovery for many of those present as they joined in the dancing – a long line of not-very-high kickers – and the joy on Pastors face as he watched them and joined in. Joy, joy, joy all around us – and the people loved it. I am sure God loved it too – His presence was tangible. His joy with us was tangible too.

We are learning new dimensions of praise and worship and we learned very quickly to allow Holy Spirit to lead us. I/we never realised there could be such joy in worship.

All I can say is “More Lord, bring it on!”

No comments:

Post a Comment