Saturday 7 April 2012

A Simple Gospel Message

A Simple Gospel Message

As we approach Easter Day, I want to ask you a couple of very simple questions. This was inspired by Dr. RT Kendall who visited our church this past weekend.

Let me start by asking you the first simple question. Where will you be 100 years from now? Well, I am 68 years old already, so I will be dead and gone. Certainly, but gone where? We can all imagine the answers we will get if we ask these questions to 100 people plucked at random from our local streets.

Back in the days when . . . . you would get a variety of just three answers ranging from heaven, hell, or nowhere. I believe that the UK is still a country where over 90% of the population regard themselves as Christian. Of the remainder about 9% are from other religions and 1% are atheist. Looking at the 90%, I understand that around 80% would believe they will be in heaven in 100 years time, whilst a few would say hell and the rest would be the politicians delight – the don’t knows.

Now things start to get a bit interesting because the question changes. To set the scene, imagine you have died and you are at the Pearly Gates talking to God Himself. When God asks you, “Why should I let you into heaven?” – How will you answer now?

Ask the same people this question and you will get a myriad of answers. I was good. I was kind to everyone. I gave to charities. I supported orphan children in Africa. I loved my mother/my family/my friends. I worked hard. etc etc.. A thousand and one answers are probable. Only 5%, maybe fewer, will give you the right answer.

“Because Jesus died for me.”

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” John 14:6 If you didn’t give that answer, then you need to pray this prayer right now.

Lord Jesus,

I have sinned.

I have disobeyed you.

Please forgive me.

Will you come into my heart and into my life right now Lord.

I make you the Lord of my life today.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment