Wednesday 19 June 2013

Omnipresent God



Omnipresent God

It’s hard to think of a church without God. I am not sure one exists. Do you think God is in every church? He probably is you know. He may be ‘asleep’ because He is left out of everything, but He is there nevertheless, waiting for someone to call on Him. Psalm 139:7-10 says “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.” So it doesn’t matter what we do or where we go, God will always be there.

We have a very popular misunderstanding in the church whenever we talk about our meetings “hoping God may turn up”. We talk about Him as if He might come to our meeting or just not show up. The real difference being that He may manifest His presence or not, and that depends on several things. If we ignore Him long enough, He may be present, and He may not actually be asleep, but He will turn His attention to something else and give the impression of dis-interest, even sleep. We do exactly that on occasions do we not?

God is a gentleman. If we do not invite Him in, He will not gatecrash but stand politely waiting for the invitation. The point is, an omnipresent God cannot leave us and go elsewhere but He will not manifest His presence without our explicit permission to do so. Even then we need to keep Him involved or He will withdraw again but He will still be there. Best of all is that we give Him the meeting. This requires us to be sensitive to Him at all times even when we are following a meeting plan. He may change things a bit – make adjustments here and there. With us allowing God to be in control of our meetings, perhaps we might even see His Glory fall a little more often?

Then, as it says in Psalm 139:7-10 says “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” Now, there’s a thought for you. Not that you’d want to ever be out of His presence again. When the Glory falls, we will all wonder why we didn’t give ourselves and our meetings over to Him all the time instead of trying to contain and control His Holy Spirit.

Personally, I am so very glad we have an omnipresent Father God. I have no wish to be separated from Him ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment