Saturday 15 June 2013

Spiritual Gifts - Good or Bad?



Spiritual Gifts - Good or Bad?

1 Corinthians 12:1-11 “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:  You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led.  Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.  And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:  for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,  to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.  But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.”

Vast tracts of writing and discussion and teaching are given to the subject of Spiritual Gifts as defined by this passage. I cannot understand why there is such controversy about them and why feelings get so puffed up when they are discussed. Were they only for the first church or are they for today as well? Are they demonic or are they of God today? If they were for the first church, I cannot rationalise how they can be demonic today unless they are counterfeit. If their use and manifestation lines up with God’s Word, then I am uncertain as to how they could possibly be demonic. That strikes me as a bit of a nonsense. So for my own purposes here I am assuming they are still as they were originally – i.e. of God and in accordance with His creative Word.

So what are these gifts, about which there is so much disagreement? According to this passage of scripture, they are as follows - The word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, faith, gifts of healings, the working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, different kinds of tongues, and the interpretation of tongues.

How do they work? No-one knows how they work although we do know that they do work. I personally have seen every single one of them manifested and bringing Glory to God. I have watched miracles unfolding in front of me. I have received and seen others receive words of knowledge that have left the hearer astonished. I have  seen gifts of faith given to both minister and congregation. I have watch healings take place instantly and over a period of months. I have, in short, watched miracles – medically attested and acknowledged. I have heard astonishing prophesies given and then watch in humbled awe as they come to pass. I have discerned spirits and seen others do the same prior to administering deliverance ministry. I have heard different tongues, many of them, and I have many times listened to the interpretation of the same.

This is my experience and testimony and I recognise that it is not the same for everybody. But Jesus Himself said, when asked about ‘strangers’ doing things in His name, “Leave them alone for he who is not against us is for us.”  There is nowhere in the Bible that says we have to practice the gifts and nowhere that limits their use to any time or place. I have no argument with their use and so I shall happily continue to use them. From a very practical point of view they help enormously and save me a lot of time and energy resolving peoples problems.

As far as I am concerned they are holy gifts from a Holy God through His precious Holy Spirit and that, as they say, is the end of the matter – for me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment