Monday 2 July 2012

Changing Things


Changing Circumstances?

“It's strange that while praying, we seldom ask for a change of character, but always a change of circumstances” ~ Anonymous

What tremendous truth there is in this quotation. I admit I have prayed like this before – and it is likely that you have too. How often do we pray about ‘giving me the same anointing as him’ rather than ‘making me more like Him’? How often have we said along with the song, “Lord, won’t you give me a Mercedes Benz” rather than saying “Lord, change me, make me content with what I have got and not covetous of what others have got.”

Many times we chase the activities of the man rather than chasing the One who gave him the activity. We chase the anointing of the man rather than chasing the One who can make us fit for a similar anointing. We chase our own desires and wants rather than the will of Him who has a perfect plan for us.

Why is this the case for so very many of us? Let me be vulnerable here. In my own case it is probably because I haven’t trusted God 101% with my life, my affairs, my family. Let me also say that I/we are in a season of change when it would be oh so easy to be praying about our needs and wants rather than about God’s plan for our lives. Fortunately, my wife and I agree in prayer and we have decided to chase God and trust Him rather than chase our dreams and visions; or our needs and wants. The peace we have is quite amazing and, personally, I wish I had done this years ago,

My wife has taught me more about trusting God than I ever thought possible. I can now pray with complete equanimity and peace for His will in our lives; for His provision; and for His plans and agenda not ours. Oh, it’s not perfect by any means. I still pray for things and ask about things outside His remit for me but He soon points me back to His way, His path for us to follow. And I still mutter and murmur occasionally, too – much good may it do me other than to feed my discontent.  No. With Paul, I am learning to be content in all circumstances in our life together and He is opening some amazing doors for us.

I say these things not to boast but rather to encourage others to stop chasing their own dreams and visions and to follow God’s vision and plan for your life. Stop envying another’s anointing but cherish your own – God never gives us someone else’s anointing anyway. He only gives us the anointing He wants us to have. So let’s take our contentment from the Lord Himself rather than trying to get Him to change things around us to suit our circumstances.

Then we will have peace – His peace - that passes all understanding. That, my friends, is worth far more than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment