Thursday 12 July 2012

Loving with God's Love


I must become more like Jesus

I don’t know if this is symptomatic of advancing years but my wife and I are becoming much more prone to showing our emotions. We have noticed recently that we are both quite easily tearful during worship – for no particularly apparent reason. We do this quite unashamedly too. It may be that we are feeling more free to express ourselves in worship and the joy simply bubbles up and over.

In the song, Hosanna, there are a couple of lines in the chorus that just shout at us and they really are our heart's cry: “Show me how to love like You have loved me”; and, “Break my heart with what breaks Yours”.

What a prayer this is - Show me how to love like You have loved me. If only we could all pray this and mean it. The Bible says that by our love they will know us. Yet much more frequently it is by our faults that we are known. Jesus tells us to love one another – our neighbours as ourselves – and to love God with all that we are. God loved the world so much that He sent His Son to die for our sins that we might inherit eternal life just because we believe in Him. How can we love others like He has loved us?

Another prayer we should all be praying - Break my heart with what breaks Yours. Actually, if we do love as God loves, then that which breaks His heart will also break ours.

Father God, please let us love others the way You have so wonderfully loved us and let our hearts break over what breaks Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment