Thursday 20 September 2012

Physics and God



Physics and God

I never got on with the science of physics at school and I dropped it as soon as I could do so. I regret that decision now, 50+ years later, as I am increasingly fascinated by God’s creation all around us. For example, I awoke this morning with the question, ”How fast does the earth travel in space?” Now there’s a first thing Monday morning question for you!!  I actually laughed out loud at the thought. I did a little research – Google is a wonderful thing – and soon came up with the answer of around 66,500 miles per hour. That’s pretty quick!

Then the Lord asked me, “How does the earth stay in it’s orbit round the sun?” I answered, “Gravity keeps it there.” Then the Lord asked, “But what is gravity – there is nothing there in space is there?” Now without getting into all the scientific explanations of magnetic fields and gravitational pull, I simply asked the Lord what He was saying to me in all of this, by now, intriguing conversation. It then came as no particular surprise when He said, “People need to let go of their reason, let go of their intellect, let go of their knowledge – and accept things from Me like a child. Only then can I manifest My love for them fully and as I want to.” At this point, I need to tell you that the Lord gave me a word for our church last night about child-like faith – this was confirmation.

He said, “I hold the stars in place by the power of My hand. Everything that is, was first created by Me. I created the sun, the moon, the earth, and all the stars in the sky. I also created every physical and every natural law that controls all things. I created whole star systems and planets, and I created microbes. I created the very hairs on your head as well as the grass under your feet. Unless you can let go of all your learning and come to me as children, I cannot do all that I want to do for you. Will you not let go, and let Me work unhindered by your reasoning. Signs and wonders shall surely follow just as night follows day when you just accept me as a child accepts me. I tell you, greater things will be done by a child’s prayers than by any prayer you can offer because you try to reason Me. But I am an un-reasonable God.”

Never thought of like that – “an un-reasonable God”.

A friend just sent me this comment. “The finite can't grasp the infinite, (Eccl 3:11), which is really good 'cos I don't want a God I can explain or understand for then I too would be God.  What an almighty mess-up the world would be then ...” (Geoff Taylor, Sydney, Australia)

No comments:

Post a Comment