Wednesday 26 September 2012

Seeking God's Face



Seeking

I have heard many words of advice given to the church, some as prophecy and some just as guidance. One or two have stuck in my mind and the Lord reminds me of those moments when they are most appropriate. Things like coming boldly before His throne; coming before Him like a child; retaining a child-like faith. Yet there is still one piece of advice that He holds constantly before me and that is to seek His face, not His hand.

To remind me of the advantages of so doing, I remember that Solomon, when asked by God what He could do for him, asked for wisdom. 1 kings 3:5  “At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask! What shall I give you?”

What would you answer to such a question? The passage continues in verse 9, “Therefore give to your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?” Solomon sought God’s face; His virtues, before gifts from His hand. Just look how God responded to this in verse, “The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.”

Solomon pleased God by seeking Him first and not the wealth of gifts He could bring. So God went on to say this in verse 12 – “behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. “ Then He added, in verse 13, “And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honour, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. “

God saw Solomon’s heart and He was pleased with what He saw and He blessed what He saw. Yet even so, God added a caveat to His great gift. In verse 14 He says, “So if you walk in My ways, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.”

In all of God’s giving, there is often a condition to walk in His ways and stay with the principles of life that Jesus laid before us. Sure we will slip occasionally because we are a fallen mankind but God is also seeking. He is seeking those who will at least try to keep in line with His teaching.

How much more will He add to us if we seek His face and not His hand? Cup full, pressed down, and running over springs to mind. Let me encourage you to be like Solomon – seek Him first before any other thing, and “all these things shall be added unto you ”.

No comments:

Post a Comment