Saturday 24 March 2012

SPRING

Spring’s Creation

It’s almost that season again – my favourite time of year. There is blossom on most trees already; spring flowers are well on the way and many are already here. Tonight the clocks go forward once more for daylight saving time and the nights will draw out until we have daylight from about 3.30a.m. until 10.00p.m. (so why do we need daylight savings?) Long ‘dead’ trees and shrubs are coming back to life with brand new leaves and flowers. Birds and all forms of wild life are going through their annual mating rituals, territory definitions, nest building and breeding.

It is called Spring. Some call it the resurrection season, not just because of Easter, but because all life is renewed in Spring. Personally, I marvel at the proliferation of new life in Spring. I walk around our home and the surrounding area and I cannot stop praising God for all that I see. How can anyone see Spring and deny creation? But they do. We are under our annual attack from atheists and scientists alike. Facebook and Twitter are both flooded with terrible tirades about evolution, Darwinism, and the like. How can I believe in any god etc etc?

I do believe in God. I do believe in Jesus Christ. I do believe in Holy Spirit. Three in one, the Holy Trinity. I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As it says in Romans 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.”

How can anyone continue to deny creation? There is an old joke about a scientist who challenged God, saying that he could now ‘create’ life. God accepted the challenge and, being a gentleman, allowed the scientist to go first. The scientist scooped up some dirt into a bucket. The Lord asked him, “What are you doing?” The scientist replied, “I am starting where you started with dust from the ground. The Lord, promptly emptied his bucket and said, “OK, but make your own dust – don’t use mine.”

I defend my faith my own way – from my experience. I once received a very pompous rebuke telling me off for the way I defend my God and my faith against atheists. The note said that they prefer faith to be defended in such and such a fashion; that my way only led to division and confusion. I declined to enter into a theological debate with them. I rated their learned theology against Jesus’ simple Gospel and the Word of God. No contest – no argument – no response. I half expect to hear again when they see this article.

So, creation it is. At least for me it is. I look around me at the world in Spring. I see creation everywhere. I delight in photographing the minutiae of creation as well as the grandeur. I can see no possible reason to doubt that God created everything that was, everything that is, and everything that will be. The whole world shouts out loud it’s praises to our creator God. I can but join in their praise and worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Let you into a secret. Actually I can accept a big bang AND creation. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth – HOW? At the beginning of time, a big bang fits in with creation because something had to happen to nothing – didn’t it? First God made the heavens and the earth. They arrived with a big bang, the Spirit hovered over the waters, then He created everything else. Waters?? Creation !!

Am I being too simplistic?

1 comment:

  1. No, you are definitely not being simplistic. The idea was first.

    Have you thought upon how the woman typically perceives creation? She creates the son of hers as what is needed in the world. Her view upon history is materialistic, where the present state of being at any time was created the period before as a want and a need to improve the state of being at that time. Her view will typically be the "survival of the fittest". The man, differently, will create ideally. He will typically see to it the material world produces his idea. He will typically think creation.

    The female view is not wrong. In fact it is most important she keeps it. The Son of Man is God. But the idea was first. This cannot be changed.

    So spring is a fantastic time. Let us delight in both the idea of God and in the wonderful expertise of the nature.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete