Tuesday 21 February 2012

Humility for Me !!

Humility

A lesson I need to learn is humility. I weep over my own lack of it; my sheer arrogance in the face of so much need for a little humility. Yesterday, in church when Pastor called for those who needed a touch from God, I got a little lesson. I actually had what you might call a small miracle. As Pastor laid his hand on me and started to pray, I was determined to stand rock still and just receive gently. I felt a cool breeze and I assumed that Pastor was blowing gently on me, as some do. About five minutes later, I sat up again and found my wife next to me, also sitting in His presence. We sat together for another five minutes, arms round each other just basking in His presence. I was told later that Pastor never ever blows on people – and no-one else felt that breeze.

I am quite big and I felt that I would hurt someone if I went over. Not a bit of it. There were plenty of willing catchers behind both me and my wife as we did our ‘carpet inspection drill’. I began to weep as the Lord showed me areas of unforgiveness and arrogance. Then again this morning, He ‘suggested’ I write a little piece about humility.

I think humility is summed up quite beautifully by Pauls words on love to the Church at Corinth. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

My own lessons in humility, yesterday, brought home a great lesson to me. The Lord showed me where I have been corrupted by the worlds thinking of ‘self-worth’ as against God’s thinking of self-worth. The world teaches assertion and a belligerent “I am not wrong” attitude. God teaches that a humble heart is the way to earn His approval and self worth comes that way – because God approves me.

When we pray that great scriptural promise of 2 Chronicles 7:14 “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” When God fulfils that promise in our lives, what more affirming action do we need? How much self worth comes from knowing that God is doing things for us? We do not need the world’s approval - do we?

So this morning I caught glimpse of a wonderful scripture I had not noticed before, and the Lord nudged me. “This is YOUR verse of the day from ME.” – Oh wow, the joy of knowing that God has especially selected a verse from His Word, just for me. Now that is kinda humbling isn’t it? It is certainly affirming and it gives me a feeling of self worth that the world could not possibly give me. It also points me in His direction for my life too. Psalm 71:18 "Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come."

I am humbled by the mercy, and kindness, and gentleness of my heavenly Father’s teaching. I no longer have need to be arrogant. Yet I do see my own need for a little more humility, kindness, and gentleness. With Holy Spirit as my teacher, I just want a little bit of love and, indeed, Christ-likeness to shine through me, and to do away with the arrogance and pride the world instils in me.

God has taught me a lesson this morning. I pray that we can all learn something from it too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a fellow platform building campaigner and I stopped by to check in today. This wonderful writing on humility is a bonus. The depth of God's love for us is so much bigger than my understanding and it is refreshing to read in your post that He stopped by yesterday to impart just a little of His glory upon you, and let you revel in His presence even as He was working on your Spirit. Thank you for sharing this lesson as it impacts me today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, Glory to God - I am blessed that you got something from my blog post. Thank you so much for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete