Saturday 4 February 2012

Washing Feet

Washing Feet

John 13:12-15 “When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”

I wonder how many pastors and leaders realise the full meaning of Jesus words re-told for us in John’s Gospel. I heard an interesting question asked the other day – “Have you noticed how many guest speakers don’t join in the full service? Instead, they seem to be surrounded by their team (who truly look like bodyguards). They walk onto the platform when announced, spend a while advertising their books, DVD’s, and CD’s, give a 45 minute message, and then waltz off the platform right out of the building and into their waiting limo.

Often these speakers are what I call the “Gospel Superstars”, quite frequently heading up huge churches and or ministries. I rarely see very much humility in them and it is a rare day that I see anything approaching servanthood from them. They wear the very best tailored clothes, often monogrammed with their personal logo, and they have absolute top of the range cars and accessories.

Most of these people set an outrageous example to their members by setting themselves up as anything but servants. The chief characteristic of Christian leaders is humility not authority and gentleness not power.” - John Stott. So many leaders seem to forget that this is the main premise of Jesus’ words in Matthew 19:30 “But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.”

Jesus also said, in Matthew 20:26-28 (NIV) “Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave — just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

I wonder where the humility went? I look at the private planes, the very expensive clothes, the Rolex watches, and I wonder if this is the new ‘servants uniform’? Somehow I doubt it. Somehow I wonder if these leaders realise the insult their rude and arrogant behaviour represents to their flock.

I wonder if many leaders have ever washed another person’s feet. It is a very humbling and moving experience for both parties, and I recommend to them that they give it a try one day. I wish there could be a day or two every year when Pastors and leaders wash the feet of their entire congregation.

That would bring a different perspective into focus – wouldn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment