Tuesday 7 February 2012

Relax - God is in Control

God Sings and Whistles

When I was a boy, growing up in the outer suburbs of London, people would frequently be heard whistling or humming a tune or even singing – sometimes quite loudly. It was usually a sign of a good mood, or happiness. I suppose the real feeling was one of contentment. So how does God express His happiness? I know it says in scripture to worship Him with songs, hymns, and psalms, all using every musical instrument available. I thought to myself, well God cannot praise Himself – I assume? So how does He express these sentiments?

It didn’t take me long to find out that God sings over us. I don’t know whether it’s a lullaby, a love song, or what. All I know is that He sings. In Zephaniah 3:17 it says, The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”

Yes, God sings over us as He rejoices with gladness (contentment), as He quiets us with His love, or as He rejoices over us with singing. Doesn’t that make your heart glad? Doesn’t that make you want to please Him and bring a song to His heart?

Yet that is not all because God whistles too. Oh I expect it was written meaning that He whistled like a shepherd, but, as we were made in His image, and we whistle, why am I not surprised to find that God whistles too. In Zechariah 10:8, it says that, I will whistle for them and gather them, For I will redeem them; And they shall increase as they once increased.”

Yes, God whistles for us, and probably at us, with us, and over us as He puts His plans for us into action. I just had a picture of God in His workshop. He was pottering around, like we do sometimes, but the thing I noticed was that He was whistling quietly to Himself. As I thought about it, it came to me that none of us whistle quietly to ourselves unless all is well and we are feeling quietly contented with the way life is going. Maybe that’s the way it is with God right now. Here we are fussing and bustling around, concern etched deep in our faces while God is saying, “Hey people, chill out a bit. I am in control. Everything is going to plan. Stop fretting and do your job that I have asked you to do and leave me to do my job which I have promised to do.” Yes, God in His workshop, whistling quietly as He goes about His work. Content with what He is doing, knowing it is all going well, and looking forward to seeing the results in our lives.

Surely this is a most encouraging picture to hold in our minds – God, our heavenly Father, the Lord God Almighty, singing and whistling contentedly over us. With this in mind we should sleep well, feel well, and indeed be well.

“It is well, it is well with my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment