Monday 27 February 2012

Who's driving today?

Who is piloting your ship?

The world is full of glib little clichés and ‘wise’ sayings your granny used to say. Yet, I read a wonderful, thought provoking quotation this morning - “Ships in harbour are safe – but that’s not what ships are built for.” – John Shedd. This really made me think for a while.

Who is piloting my ship? Is it me or have I allowed Jesus to take the helm? Now, at the risk of mixing my metaphors, Jesus said, “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. “ Matthew 7:13-14 OK so you can’t sail too many ships through gates and down narrow roads – but you get my drift?

Seriously, if the world is your pilot, then you will surely miss the narrow gate and sail blithely down the broad way to destruction. However, with Jesus as your pilot, you will just as surely go happily down the ‘straight and narrow’ way that takes you to your reward in heaven.

And don’t make the mistake of allowing someone else to say, “Follow me – I am going the right way.” You are responsible for your own ship, and your choice of pilot is critical. Jesus warned us saying, “Many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and will deceive many.” Mark 13:6 I don’t think I exaggerate over much by saying that we’ve only got one shot at life, and it is far too important to mess it up using the wrong pilot or guide or map – whichever way you want to put it.

Make Jesus your pilot – today.

No comments:

Post a Comment