Friday 17 August 2012

In Celebration of God’s Love 1



This is part of a short mini-series on the truths and beauty of some of my ownye favourite hymns. I have chosen five hymns – four old and one new – that simply speak to me. There are many others and I am sure your choice may be very different from mine. Here is my first choice.

Our God is an Unchanging God. This great hymn by Thomas Chisholm sums up the love and faithfulness of our God.

"Great is Thy faithfulness," O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

"Great is Thy faithfulness!"
"Great is Thy faithfulness!"  
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided  
"Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!

The faithfulness of God is testified throughout the history of the Church. In the twentieth century alone, look how God has used William Booth, Hudson Taylor (just 20th C), Eric Liddell, Corrie Ten Boom, Billy Graham, Reinhard Bonnke, and others. Look at the influence of Asuza Street and Wales in the early 1900’s.

This is also particularly poignant to us at this moment in time as God is showing His faithfulness to even such as us as we seek to labour in His vineyard.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment