Wednesday 15 August 2012

Who's At The Door?


An Invitation from Jesus

Revelation 3:20-21 The Message "Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honour at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquerors!

This was my daily Bible verse today. It arrived in NIV version but I called up another version and, much to my delight, The Message came up. As I read it, the Lord asked me, “Why would Jesus do this?” I thought about it and, yes, it is odd to knock on someone’s door, anyone’s door actually, and when they open it, to invite yourself in for a meal. Imagine the scene – you are sitting relaxing, possibly about to serve a meal, when there’s a knock on your door. “Who on earth can this be? Do they not know it’s meal time?”  Reluctantly, you answer the knock and open the door. There stands a complete stranger, and he asks if he can come in and join your meal table!  Most people would simply say, “No – go away.” And then close the door in the stranger’s face, leaving him standing there, still hungry.

That is Jesus lot in millions of people’s lives. They slam the door on Him, leaving Him standing there hungry for our fellowship and sad that we have rejected Him. How many times has this happened I wonder? Hundreds of times? Daily? Yet this is what happens in the majority of homes around the world. People reject His company. They refuse a stranger a meal. They turn them away from their door. They leave them standing there, hungry and alone – no-one to love or care for them.

Another great reason for telling people who it is who is knocking at the door of their hearts. Who it is who is calling their name in the hope of fellowship. The Bible says that we meet angels unaware of who they are and how we treat them will be our judgement. “Inasmuch as you give them a glass of water, you do this for Me” To invite them to invite Jesus in – what a privilege.

Something to think about isn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment