Sunday 19 August 2012

In Celebration of God’s Love 3




This is a short mini-series on the truths and beauty of some of my favourite hymns. I have chosen five hymns – four old and one new – that simply speak to me. There are many others and I am sure your choice may be very different from mine. Here is my third choice.

This hymn about the Cross and all it means to us, is to me, the greatest hymn ever written. By Isaac Watts in the 1600’s, even Wesley said he would exchange everything he had ever written to have written just this one hymn.

When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.


Yes, He does demand our all. His whole life was dedicated to giving us a reason to follow Him. He wants us to do the same for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment