Wednesday 24 October 2012

Anointed Worship



Lost in Worship

Many times I have stood in worship at church and just been swept up by it. Many times, too, I have watched worship DVD’s where folk are totally swept away by the worship. Tears unashamedly flowing; arms lifted to the Lord; hearts overflowing with love. People almost in a different world.

Well, they are in a different world aren’t they? They are in the very throne room of God, standing – often kneeling – just worshipping God. Hearts so full that they overflow with awe, wonder, adoration, and praise of the Lord God Almighty. Holy Spirit ministering personally to each and every one of those worshippers.

I remember when I first felt the presence of Holy Spirit. I didn’t know what it was then and, indeed it took a few years to work it all out. I was just 15 years old when God first called me. I didn’t recognise it as a call and I wasn’t even saved until I was 19. Even then, despite more experiences like that, it took me another 25 years or more before I really understood what it was to hear from God and answer that call. The churches I was in barely even mentioned the Holy Spirit other than as part of the Trinity. Pentecost was ‘Whitsun’ and another bank or public holiday here in the UK. The question, “Holy who?” springs to mind of that period. Even after I met Holy Spirit it took several years to get the religion out of me in order to get the relationship with Him in to me.

That’s when I felt His presence again – just as I had as a 15 year old. It was overwhelming – like a soft warm blanket that said, “Here, let me take all of your worries and troubles. Let me take all of your pain and heartache. Let me keep you warm and safe.” I especially felt it in times of worship and I craved meetings where the presence of God was manifest. I craved His presence; I valued it more than anything; I yearned for it every day. I still do.

So when I watch these worship DVD’s, I don’t have a particular feeling for anything other than the manifest presence of God. Every now and then, one will come onto my screen and I will know immediately whether or not the presence of God is manifested there. That’s what worship does. It ushers in the manifest presence of God.

Practice it and rejoice in it. It is so-o-o worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment