Tuesday 2 October 2012

Effective Church



Can You Imagine

I was watching the National Day of Prayer on TV. As I watched and listened, the Lord spoke to me through whatever I was watching. I have to confess that I tuned in to the Lord and tuned out of the TV – great viewing though it was. What stopped me in my tracks were these questions – “If the church were to drop all the denominational barriers and rivalry, just once – as they seemed to today, what sort of impression could they make on this land? If the church, which represents My Kingdom here on earth, were to actually unite for just one outreach project - what could be achieved? If My Bride were to just once act as though she believed in Me and concentrated on that alone, what would be the effect of a united church on the people of your area?”

The Church, ALL those who believe in the saving life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, Son of God, for our sins and for our salvation – that Church, regardless of denomination, MUST drop its barriers in unity. That Church MUST work together with ALL other Christians, regardless of denomination, race, colour, or creed, in order to first gain then capitalise on the world’s attention. That Church MUST unite in order to not be left out of the coming events. Why? Jesus said to His disciples, all of them, in Mark 9:40 “whoever is not against us is for us” (For full context see Mark 9:38-41)

As the Church unites, one with another, so the blessing will multiply. There is, as always, a caveat to that blessing. Not only must we drop our differences, not only must we unite and actually look united, but we must also drop our “What’s in it for me/for my church” attitude and agenda. Just for once the Church must become selfless – dying to ‘self’ and living for Christ alone. A corporate decision with no hidden agenda. Please, let me be really blunt here – please don’t let any of us be really stupid and pretend about this. God sees our hearts and God will call us to answer for every false decision. The heart and agenda has to be right as well as the actual decision to join in.

Can you imagine the effectiveness of a united church? Can you imagine the effect of such a church on a cynical world that currently despises the church’s hypocrisy and smug ‘holier-than-thou’ attitude? Can you imagine the effect upon the church itself at ‘suddenly’ finding a common cause with most or even all the other Christians in your own back yard?

Can you imagine the pleasure and the smile on God’s face?

No comments:

Post a Comment