Tuesday 30 October 2012

Digging Old Wells



Digging Old Wells

I am not a great believer in “re-inventing the wheel”. So when, in a recent conversation, a friend mentioned certain quite famous Christians associated with our area, I seemed to get a prompt from the Lord about the wells that once had been dug in the region. These spiritual wells are probably centuries old, and have probably been ‘filled in’ for many years and generations. Yet it would seem profitable to re-dig them for the spiritual inheritance they contain that will serve this generation. Sure we could dig some new wells but the Lord is urging me to use what I already have at my disposal today.

For a start, the Wesley’s trod this area – look at what they planted and look at the wells dug as a result of their labours. Perhaps less well known, but also of serious impact, was one Henry Varley, (in whose church Gypsy Smith’s father got saved), born about 5 miles from my home town, who served all over the world and ministered with D L Moody when he came to our shores. Can I even imagine the wells available to me through his ministry? No, I cannot, but I can pray that the Lord helps us to re-dig those wells in order to benefit from the sowing and planting in this area over the past two or three centuries.

We may find, as did those who followed John G Lake’s footsteps to his original healing rooms in Spokane, that the wells dug by a previous generation have never been stopped up – merely hidden and covered, awaiting God’s leading to be rediscovered and re-opened so that the anointing may flow again. We have a heritage in our own back yard just waiting to be rediscovered and re-activated.

Why not seek God for His guidance on the old wells in your own area. This may not be for everyone but it may just be for you. I know that in our area of England is the highest concentration of medieval churches in the UK. Wells from 600 to 900 years old just waiting to be discovered and opened up again.

What an under-used legacy that may be?

No comments:

Post a Comment